Which US schools can I hope to be admitted to for a PhD?

• Schools
  • Thread starter FrodCube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Schools
In summary, the speaker is an international student with a strong academic background, including a high GPA, good GRE scores, and potentially good TOEFL scores. They have three letters of recommendation, one from a well-known HEP theorist. They have a 3-year "basic" degree and are currently pursuing a 2-year "specialization" degree in Theoretical Physics, with relevant coursework and a planned research project. The speaker is interested in theoretical HEP, but acknowledges the competitiveness of the field and is applying to top tier schools such as MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, and Stanford. They are unsure if they should consider changing their research interest to improve their chances of admission and are seeking advice on which schools to apply to.
FrodCube
Hi. I'm an international student from a pretty good italian university and I'm applying for a PhD in the US. Here's my profile:
  • 930 (89%) PGRE
  • 159v, 164q, 3.5w GRE
  • Still waiting for the TOEFL, but should be good
  • 4.0 GPA
  • 3 letters, hopefully good but how can I know? One is a decently known HEP theorist, who even spent some time at MIT.
Also since I'm italian, I have a 3 years "basic" degree and I'm currently taking the 2 year "specialization" degree in Theoretical Physics where I've taken/I'm taking GR, QFT, Cosmology, Many Body Physics and an introduction to Standard Model classes. I should get this degree in July or early September.

I don't really have any real research experience, but I will start working on a project about Force Free Electrodynamics and Black Holes in a month or less that should take about 6 months and could also imply a small collaboration with the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenaghen.

What would I like to do? If I had to answer with what I'd really like to study I'd say theoretical HEP, but I know that this is a very competitive subject and there's plenty of people with a better profile then mine.

So far I'm applying to: MIT, Harvard, Berkeley and Stanford. Since before taking the test they ask you to select 4 free score recipients I've decided to go with the top names in the field.

Here's my questions:

1. Given my profile, which schools should I apply to? I'm interested in top-ish tier programs.
  2. Should I change my research interest to give me a higher chance of admission?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're applying to the top schools even though you have "no real research experience?" You might want to throw in some safety schools.

1. What are the general requirements for admission to a PhD program in the US?

Generally, applicants to PhD programs in the US are expected to have a strong academic background, with a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a related field. They are also expected to have a high GPA, strong letters of recommendation, and competitive scores on standardized tests such as the GRE.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing which schools to apply to for a PhD?

Some important factors to consider when choosing schools for a PhD program include the program's reputation and ranking, the faculty members and their research interests, available resources and funding opportunities, and the location and cost of living.

3. Is it necessary to have a master's degree before applying to a PhD program in the US?

No, it is not always necessary to have a master's degree before applying to a PhD program in the US. Some programs may require a master's degree, while others may allow students to enter directly from a bachelor's program. It is important to research the specific requirements of each program.

4. What are some ways to increase my chances of being admitted to a PhD program in the US?

Some ways to increase your chances of being admitted to a PhD program in the US include having a strong academic background, relevant research experience, strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement. Networking with faculty and current students in the program can also be helpful.

5. Can I apply to multiple schools for a PhD program in the US?

Yes, it is common for applicants to apply to multiple schools for a PhD program in the US. However, it is important to carefully consider which schools to apply to and to ensure that each application is tailored to the specific program and its requirements.