Who are some inspiring physicists and recommended books for beginners?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mariexotoni
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physicists
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
mariexotoni
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
I'm pretty new to the wonderful world of physics! Who are some people I can look to for inspiration?

Any book suggestions would be nice too- love to readddddddd.
Mention some awesome women physicists too :)

i know this is something i could just simply google, but i'd rather hear from you guys.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Richard Feynman is a constant inspiration for me. As far as books go, I would suggest reading QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, The Character of Physical Law, or Six Easy Pieces to begin with so that you can decide if you enjoy his style.
 
Richard Feynman
Faraday
Von Neumann
Tycho Brahe

If you are interested in scientists in general Linus Pauling and Robert Burns Woodward are very interesting too.
 
just added the pleasure of finding things out to my amazon shopping cart lol :)
 
mariexotoni said:
just added the pleasure of finding things out to my amazon shopping cart lol :)

Use this link to purchase!
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=473931


Feynman will likely be the most recommended here, and for good reason. I really like Walter Lewin, Carl Gauss, Leonard Euler, Jim Al-Khalili, Leonard Susskind, Kip Thorne. If you haven't read the Feynman lectures on physics, do yourself a favor.
 
I loved Leonard Susskind's "The Black Hole War." Read it twice so far and plan on reading it again. It is not a technical book but I would say its a must read.