Who are the greatest drummers of all time?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RiseAgainst
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 6K views
RiseAgainst
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Who would make your list of the top drummers ever.
Mike Portnoy, Neil Pert, Buddy Rich.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Tom Mattson said:
There's Bonham, and then there's everybody else.
My sentiments exactly. I'm a guitarist and vocalist and tend to "key in" on those, but Bonham commanded my attention each and every time. When I listen to Led Zep, I always hear Bonham. If the question had been "who was the best rhythm section", I'd have to go with Mick Fleetwood and John MacVie. Peter Green named his band after them for a reason.
 
We all know who Buddy Rich would say.

I think it might be Buddy Rich, but I'm going to say Dave Grohl.
 
What comes to mind: Bonham, Keith Moon (The Who), Ian Paice (Purple), Peart (Rush), the Dreamtheater drummer, The Police's drummer, Niko McBrain (Maiden), Ringo, Lars Ulrich, Nick Mason, the drummer for Queen, Ginger Baker, John Densmore.

I'm certain I'm missing out a few more good ones.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
You can't top buddy rich. He had a left hand roll that obliterated most two hand rolls.
Have you heard the tape "Buddy thanks the band"? Buddy was good but not even a fraction as good as he thought he was. I do have a copy of his drum battle with Roach and it is a really good CD. Still think Bonham is tops though.

I had a full set of Fibes drums, which Buddy favored, but he couldn't get a fat endorsement off them. He played Ludwigs for the endorsement, but always kept a Fibes snare behind the kit for the punch. I swapped a $150 brass snare for a vintage Fibes snare, and loved it!
 
turbo-1 said:
Have you heard the tape "Buddy thanks the band"? Buddy was good but not even a fraction as good as he thought he was.
http://www.cis.rit.edu/~ejipci/buddy_rich.htm" with a transcription of some of the famous Buddy "flip outs." It is wild. A must read. Be sure to read the "positive note" that precedes it. When you get a chance, listen to the audio of these rampages.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly, Sandy Nelson was the last popular drummer not associated with a particular band, back in the 1950's and 1960's. I think that was the end of the drummer as a solo act era. I barely recall hearing some of his stuff at a friends house back in the late 1960's. There's a wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Nelson
 
Lars Ulrich is pretty good, Bonham definitely, how about the drummer from Meshuggah he definitely has some interesting timings, sometimes it almost sounds as if he's off, but then a couple of bars later you realize that it is in time, strange, but pretty cool. There is also Joey from Slipknot, as entertainment goes, you can't beat his uside down drum solos, plus his double bass kicks are awesome.
 
Given that Nirvana rules the known universe, I will naturally say Dave Grohl.
 
how about me?



naa that guy from "Dream Theatre" is the best.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Helios said:
Given that Nirvana rules the known universe, I will naturally say Dave Grohl.

He was alright, and is definatly a talented musician. But Best? no way.
 
Georgepowell said:
He was alright, and is definatly a talented musician. But Best? no way.

He's certainly a popular drummer for hire.
 
Georgepowell said:
He was alright, and is definatly a talented musician. But Best? no way.

Excuse me, but you dismiss Dave Grohl immediately after proffering Mr. Portnoy of Dream Theatre? No, not a terrible drummer, but hey, I don't think a huge kit and a double bass makes the best drummer either.

Let's both face facts, neither can hold a dim candle to the likes of Buddy Rich, but I know either one would probably be more fun at a party.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erE8WTngaAY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfGd53pmiZs&feature=related
(if you are short on time, skip to about 4:00 into the second link there. Any doubt?)
 
Last edited:
Okay. I couldn't resist.
Back in the day, there was Gene Krupa. I'm sure there are some old people around here that has heard of him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Krupa"
He was my idle when learning percussion as a kid.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
Okay. I couldn't resist.
Back in the day, there was Gene Krupa. I'm sure there are some old people around here that has heard of him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Krupa"
Oh, yeah. Still can't stack up to Bonham, IMO
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well since those times turbo, I've seen tallent in music exponentiate. Yea, no way to compare him with todays drummers.
 
dlgoff said:
Well since those times turbo, I've seen tallent in music exponentiate. Yea, no way to compare him with todays drummers.
Sometimes you've got to get in the groove,and pick one. I've heard people say pretty stupid stuff putting down Hendrix or Clapton, and have had to give them the blank stare.
 
turbo-1 said:
I've heard people say pretty stupid stuff putting down Hendrix or Clapton, and have had to give them the blank stare.
Wow. You sure are passive turbo. I would have to , well show my bad side.
 
turbo-1 said:
Sometimes you've got to get in the groove,and pick one. I've heard people say pretty stupid stuff putting down Hendrix or Clapton, and have had to give them the blank stare.

Someone dissed Clapton? Where's my wooden crosses, looks like we need to have an old fashioned crucifixion...
 
In no particular order

Billy Cobham
steve gadd
vinnie colaiuta
dennis chambers
buddy rich
mike portnoy
neil pert
john bonham
lenny white
tony williams
...
how can you honestly choose one?