Who are your favorite movie or TV characters of all time?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie Time
In summary, some of the favorite characters people mentioned were R2D2, Darth Vader, Jaws, God, Hal, Kahn, Jim Rockford, Frasier, Niles, Boursa, the entire cast of "Friends", American Choppers, E.T., Batman, and Napster.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
While trying to think of my favorite star of all time, this question naturally followed.

When I can think of an answer for this one I will chime in. The first that come to mind are characters such as R2D2 and Darth Vador, Jaws, God in [Oh God], Hal [2001], Kahn, but that's only because I'm in that mode right now. I'm a real modey [sic] kind of guy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frasier

edit: or, more to the point, his brother, Niles.

Originally posted by Tsunami
Frasier

edit: or, more to the point, his brother, Niles.
ME TOO!

Did you see the episode with the dead seal and the "clap on, clap off" lamp? I almost wet my pants. Or the episode where Niles hurts his finger while ironing and passes out and set Frasier's couch on fire (after he poured naphtha on the couch trying to remove a blood stain).

I am showing my age, but I always liked the character Jim Rockford (plated by James Garner) from The Rockford Files TV show. He had a realistic macho attitude - when people shot at him, he was afraid. He was quick-witted, and that always served him better than his toughness. Although he had a keen instinct for self-preservation, he always did the right thing.

I loved his little scams. I used one once to track down a deadbeat roommate who skipped out on rent!

Njorl

Finch from Just Shoot me
o and definately Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Carribean

Slappy Squirrel from Animaniacs.

Oh... do cartoons count?

Originally posted by enigma
Oh... do cartoons count?

Sure hope so, my favorite characters are fictional. I personally like Homer Simpson's rather dumb (yet hilarious) quotes, with the second favorite being the quirky Ralph Wiggum (Ralph: "Is this my house?" Lisa: "No, you live in a different house" Ralph: choo-choo [runs off]).

I myself follow several of Homer's advice... "Never trust anyone", "You can't fight city hall", "Its better to watch stuff, than to do stuff" and others. In fact, my signature has something he said right now (or described).

the fourth doctor hands down

Boursa: "You have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the universe."
Doctor: "Well, I do talk to myself sometimes."

from doctor who: the invasion of time

Originally posted by Evo
ME TOO!
What a SURPRISE!

Did you see the episode with the dead seal and the "clap on, clap off" lamp? I almost wet my pants. Or the episode where Niles hurts his finger while ironing and passes out and set Frasier's couch on fire (after he poured naphtha on the couch trying to remove a blood stain).
Dang. No, I missed those. I rarely get to see the current ones because of my work schedule. Not to mention, they keep putting something else on in it's time slot upon numerous occasions (why do they do that? it pisses me off!). I usually catch it in syndication. When (IF!) I retire, I'm going to sit and watch Frasier for DAYS!

Favorite cartoon characters are definitely Brian and Stewie from "Family Guy", as well as basically all of the Justice League (with the exception of Hawk Girl).

Favorite television characters would have to be the entire cast of "Friends", as well as "American Choppers".

Favorite movie characters are E.T., Batman, and "Napster" (Seth Green's character) from "The Italian Job".

I know all of these are more recent, but then again I was only born in '86, so I consider that my excuse... :smile:

Tv shows... Latka from Taxi. Andy Kaufman was *TRULY* something else... in anything I ever saw him in. I was also nutty about Endora in Bewitched.

In movies I'd say Peter Sellers' Inspecteur Clouseau in the Pink Panther series, but Herbert Lom (I forget the character's name) did an incredible acting job. But the Clouseau character I loved.

Pluto was my favorite character

jk

I used to like Pluto when I was a kid... but Pluto was killed by a float. So I guess my new favorite character of all time is either Gir from Invader Zim or Bender from futurama.

I liked Christopher Lloyd's Jim Ignatowski character from Taxi.

1. Who are your favorite movie characters of all time?

As a scientist, my favorite movie characters are often those who embody intelligence, curiosity, and a passion for discovery. Some of my favorites include Dr. Ellie Sattler from Jurassic Park, Dr. Alan Grant from the same film, and Dr. Emmett Brown from Back to the Future.

2. Who are your favorite TV characters of all time?

My favorite TV characters tend to be those who use their intelligence and expertise to solve complex problems. Some of my top picks include Sherlock Holmes from BBC's Sherlock, Dana Scully from The X-Files, and Dr. Temperance Brennan from Bones.

3. What qualities do you look for in a favorite movie or TV character?

As a scientist, I am drawn to characters who are intelligent, analytical, and have a thirst for knowledge. I also appreciate characters who are able to think outside the box and approach problems in unconventional ways.

4. How do your favorite movie or TV characters inspire your work as a scientist?

I find that my favorite movie and TV characters often embody the traits and qualities that are necessary for success in the scientific field. They inspire me to think creatively, question everything, and never give up in the face of challenges.

5. Are there any specific movie or TV characters that have influenced your career as a scientist?

While there are many characters that have influenced my career as a scientist, one that stands out is Dr. Ellie Arroway from the film Contact. Her determination, intelligence, and passion for discovery have always been a source of inspiration for me.