Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking For Help With A SciFi Movie For Accurate Physics

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    Hi there, I'm new here. My favorite fields of science are physics, theoretical physics, and fringe science. Fringe was my all time favorite show next to Star Trek. I'm a total nerd.

However, I'm no scientist. In fact, I'm a music and video producer, photographer, and graphic artist. Last time I was heavily into physics was high school 6 years ago.

All that aside, I'm working on a science fiction movie, and I'd like to be as accurate to physics and science as possible, so I thought this forum might be a good place to get help.

The setting is 2056 during a third World War. I have some ideas of where to go with all this but I'd like to have your thoughts.

Think plausibility according to modern technological progression and the laws of physics and science, whither real or theoretical.

- Communication Methods that can travel across large distances with massive bandwidth capabilities
    - Faster than light travel (Albiere bubble, wormhole, matter\antimatter fission\fusion reactors, etc)
    - Sub light travel for jets (deuterium drive)
    - Energy sources
    - Energy sources for cars
    - Weapons; sidearms, mounted, as well as missiles and such
    - Alternate Timelines
    - Time travel (forward and back. This is a major part of the story)
    - Biological circuits that can fuse to the nervous system (Also important)
    - Enhanced IQ (As high as humanly possible while still retaining emotion) and neuronal speed (maybe from a Rx drug?)
    - The ability to have a HUD and augmented reality attached to whatever you see inside your head (I.E. The TV show Continuum)
    - Psychokinesis (super important, especially personal time travel)

- Anything else you feel might be conducive to the time period

This movie is very important to me, and I'd like it to be accurate with the science, as well as the current progression of technology, etc.

Hopefully this is posted in the right category, and there's someone out there who could has ideas and thoughts.

Thank you all so much! It's nice to meet you in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    You can get general hep here and pointers to helpful direction, but you already know that scientific consultants to movies get paid for their input. I hope the forum will at least get screen credit?

The rule for plausible-science SF movies is usually to allow a single, one-time, breach of the rules, and then work through the consequences. The breach in the rules is usually explained away as an advance in technology that the characters don't know the details of - they just use it.

The smaller the exception to the currently understood rules the more plausible the "science".
    Want to hire me yet?

- Communication Methods that can travel across large distances with massive bandwidth capabilities
    Define "large" and "massive" this is plausible for continental distances - even to planetary ones.
    So long as you are STL.

- Faster than light travel (Albiere bubble, wormhole, matter\antimatter fission\fusion reactors, etc)
    FTL is highly implausible - thought there is research looking into this on the very small scale.
    The STNG-DS9 type wormhole - highly implausibe.
    Antimatter power - implausible but not very - we can make antimatter - but you want to figure out the advantages: it will take more energy to make the antimatter than you can get out of it. Perhaps there is a natural source of antimatter the SF world exploits: it would be very valuable and hazardous.
    Fusion - plausible.

- Sub light travel for jets (deuterium drive)
    Anything STL that obeys conservation of energy is plausible.
    Note: "deuterium drive" has no meaning ... a drive depending on deuterius fusion would be a form of fusion power.

- Energy sources
    - Energy sources for cars
    ... anything that obeys conservation of energy is plausible.
    You want to watch the energy densities for storage - there are limits to how much energy you can plausibly pack into a small volume.

- Weapons; sidearms, mounted, as well as missiles and such
    Same restrictions as energy.

- Alternate Timelines
    highly implausible - requires a theory of time and unobtainium

- Time travel (forward and back. This is a major part of the story)
    Dreamland stuff - if you want a time-travel story, the ability to travel "back and forth" in time is a major breach of causality so you have to address this. (Which is usually the point of time travel stories).

- Biological circuits that can fuse to the nervous system (Also important)
    I think this may be present threshold tech - just about.
    Will depend on the circuit. We can control electronic circuits via our nervous system in prototype.

- Enhanced IQ (As high as humanly possible while still retaining emotion) and neuronal speed (maybe from a Rx drug?)
    IQ is pseudoscience.
    You want more detail. Drugs can already increase cognition and perception.

- The ability to have a HUD and augmented reality attached to whatever you see inside your head (I.E. The TV show Continuum)
    Google glass but internal - goes with the bio-circuits doesn't it?

- Psychokinesis (super important, especially personal time travel)
    Fantasy land stuff ... not possible under known laws of physics.
    But it can be sciencified - I have an extensive workup of how TK would work consistently with the known laws allowing it's existence as the only exception.

However - you can also fake up TK effects by hidden means - very high tech could manage this.

Summary:
    What you want is effectively a soft SF/Fantasy world - so it is unlikely you can have more than a superficial resemblence to science fact. I'd give up now and do what you want.

But if you do want something that is better than star trek - you should be prepared to hire someone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook