Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who are your heroes?

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    Mine are (brave ordinary people who changed the world):

Tank Man

Nelson Mandela
    Gandhi

Dorothy Counts (I don't know much about her)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7DUuAYK1RM&feature=related

I am missing lot of them because I don't know about others :cry:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2008 #2
    Muhammad Yunus.

4. Aug 27, 2008 #3
    Killdozer.

24n77GgRtrw[/youtube] This is the backstory: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

5. Aug 27, 2008 #4
    jaco pastorius

6. Aug 27, 2008 #5
    Yeah, who doesn't love alcoholics who get killed while drunk?

7. Aug 27, 2008 #6
    Tuskegee Airmen

Firefighters

8. Aug 27, 2008 #7
    That's a good list :approve:

9. Aug 27, 2008 #8
    My Heroes...

My teachers, who were all nuns: The Sisters of Saint Francis of the Martyr Saint George...http://www.altonfranciscans.org/
    --they save they world every day, for no reward, and for no recognition.

Famous/historical persons...

Hans Christian Ørsted
    Horace Mann
    Eleanor Roosevelt
    Edwin Howard Armstrong
    Philo Farnsworth
    Jimmy Stewart
    Brian Greene
    Vance Degeneres

10. Aug 27, 2008 #9
    Kurt Cobain
    John Lennon as personal heroes for their beliefs and what they stood for, which I connect with.

Family members
    Other people that don't come to mind.

11. Aug 27, 2008 #10
    What did Kurt Cobain stand for?

12. Aug 27, 2008 #11
    I'll add to my list, Astronauts because they risk their lives for the name of furthering science and knowledge.

I don't define one as a hero unless there is significant risk or hardship (socially) to what they do. So, celebs and musicians are not heros because they are good at playing music or acting.

13. Aug 27, 2008 #12
    Yep, I agree.

But, people who stand against unfair alone themselves without any support are my true heroes!
    That's why tank man is my favorite (also that black girl - she was just 15!) :approve:

14. Aug 28, 2008 #13
    I don't really have heroes, but I have people who inspire me and whom I deeply admire. I guess that's a hero?

- My Parents. Because they're my parents :biggrin:. And because I've seen them work their a**es off to get everything they have, and never expect to be handed anything from others.

- Lewis Carroll. He's my favorite artist. He was postmodern before there was modernism.

- Leonardo Da Vinci. An incredible man. He was brilliant at so many areas of art and science, it's amazing. Some would say that this was also his flaw: he left many of his works unfinished (in fact, he carried somewhat of a hire-at-your-own-risk reputation: you never knew if he would finish the job you hired him for) and would just jump from one idea to another, never quite perfecting any (unlike Michelangelo, who could obsess for years or even decades, full time, to perfect a single piece of work).— I mean, the guy began designing a helicopter in the 1400's! ... maybe a human lifespan was just not long enough for him to accomplish all of what he had in his mind.

- Socrates. "Free meals for life!"

I can't think of other people whom I always keep in mind like that. They always inspire and affect me.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  15. Aug 28, 2008 #14
    My favourite authors and artists are my heroes.

Historically I would say Tesla and William Stephenson.

16. Aug 28, 2008 #15
    Never mind stupid statements, anybody who understand anything in bass history knows that Jaco was so important that He can be called by his first name only. His influence on music in general was fundamental, no matter whether you like what he did later on or if some people can be judgmental about a period of time they don't even know. Listen to any jingle on television, on radio, all over the place, he created the basis for the use of bass we have today.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  17. Aug 28, 2008 #16
    My grand grand father was carrying an axe, and being drunk while trying to reach home for family lunch on sunday morning after the office. He tripped and killed himself. Quite remarkable. He was remembered as somebody who everybody loved. He was exceptionally kind and achieved many things during his lifetime. What did you achieve apart from displaying short-thought judgments ?

18. Aug 28, 2008 #17
    Not killing myself with an axe.

19. Aug 28, 2008 #18
    Sorry humanino, you walked into that one. </pun>

20. Aug 28, 2008 #19

Lisa!

Gold Member

My family! :biggrin:

21. Aug 28, 2008 #20
    RootX,
    definitely Dorothy Counts, from your link

Y7DUuAYK1RM[/youtube] Isn't that... something very seriously wrong with mankind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?