Who else uses good pens and pencils to do their work?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, some people use a good mechanical pencil to do their engineering work better, and others prefer pens. Some people use a specific brand of mechanical pencil, while others use any brand that they like.
gravenewworld
For some reason, I'm really picky now about my writing instruments. I can't use yellow pencils anymore or cheap mechanical pencils, I feel like a good mechanical pencil helps me do math work better. It's literally a tool in my tool box to do engineering. Who else uses a good mechanical pencil to do their work? If so what brand?

Pen wise, I have a new Cross pen I love to write in my lab notebook. Love it! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I've always used these Staedtlers.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9694/zvhg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use quality drafting tools when I can. I prefer the feel and the control.

dlgoff said:
I use those to draw. What grade lead you use?

I have two Rotring 600s and a Rotring Rapid Pro, all 0.5, that I switch between for daily use. I kept a Pentel P205 around for when I'm not going to be sitting in one secure place because I've already had a couple of tips bent on the 600s.

I like the weight and feel of the heavy metal Rotrings, but they are certainly expensive. Note: I do not do any actual drafting. After I'm done with school in May, I'll definitely keep them around at work and I plan to expand my collection.

dlgoff said:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9694/zvhg.jpg
I do, too. They're absolutely the BEST.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
I use those to draw. What grade lead you use?
I believe what the 780 comes filled with is HB. I haven't ever needed to buy any as I just pick up a new one. :blushing:

Mandelbroth said:
I do, too. They're absolutely the BEST.
I received a box of them as a gift for taking over as the instructor for a Engineering Drafting course years ago.

I'm a big fan of the Pentel Twist-Erase:

http://www.pentel.com/store/twist-erase-iii-mechanical-pencil

I tried the 0.5mm and it was too delicate. Tried the 0.9mm and it was too mushy. So I got a 0.7mm and it's juuuust right.

I don't care about the twist action on the erasers. I hardly ever use the erasers, except for small things. I just like the ergonomics of the pencil itself. For more serious erasing, I use one of these

http://www.simonsartsupplies.com/factis-im-30-eraser/

I know one side of it is for ink. But the side for graphite is pretty awesome.

S_Happens said:
I have two Rotring 600s and a Rotring Rapid Pro, all 0.5, that I switch between for daily use. I kept a Pentel P205 around for when I'm not going to be sitting in one secure place because I've already had a couple of tips bent on the 600s.

I like the weight and feel of the heavy metal Rotrings, but they are certainly expensive. Note: I do not do any actual drafting. After I'm done with school in May, I'll definitely keep them around at work and I plan to expand my collection.

I find the rotring rapid pro way too thin/long for me. A little bit too heavy as well.

Crake said:
I find the rotring rapid pro way too thin/long for me. A little bit too heavy as well.

:biggrin:

I only write in pen, and I nearly only use Pilot-G2 07's or smaller. They can get a little sloppy, but if you take your time to write neatly, and only use blank paper or grid notebooks, it looks really nice. Great for text and diagrams, pens are fairly cheap, and they don't bleed.

Then again all I do is physics math, and I rarely return to my previous work to look at the notes.

inotyce said:
:biggrin:

lol inotyce. Come on..

1. Who uses good pens and pencils for their work?

Many professionals and students use good pens and pencils for their work, including scientists, engineers, artists, and writers. It is important for these individuals to have high-quality writing instruments to ensure precision and efficiency in their work.

2. What makes a pen or pencil "good" for work?

A good pen or pencil for work should have a comfortable grip, a smooth writing experience, and reliable ink or lead that won't smudge or break easily. It should also be durable and long-lasting to withstand frequent use.

3. Are there specific brands or types of pens and pencils that are commonly used for work?

There are many brands and types of pens and pencils that are commonly used for work, including Pilot, Bic, Sharpie, Staedtler, and Faber-Castell. The type of pen or pencil used often depends on the individual's personal preference and the type of work they are doing.

4. Can using a good pen or pencil actually improve the quality of work?

Yes, using a good pen or pencil can improve the quality of work in several ways. It can increase precision and accuracy, reduce mistakes and errors, and enhance overall productivity and efficiency. Additionally, using a comfortable and reliable writing instrument can also improve the overall writing experience, making it more enjoyable and less stressful.

5. Are there any tips for choosing the right pen or pencil for work?

When choosing a pen or pencil for work, it is important to consider the type of work you will be doing, your personal preferences, and the features that are most important to you. It is also helpful to read reviews and try out different options before making a decision. Ultimately, the right pen or pencil for work will vary for each individual and their specific needs.