Who first studied the sum of squares of integers?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Amer
Messages
259
Reaction score
0
I would like to know some history on the subject like who is the first to think about sum of squares of integers and what he/she was thinking about. I think maybe it is related to Pythagorean triples. Thanks
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Amer said:
I would like to know some history on the subject like who is the first to think about sum of squares of integers and what he/she was thinking about. I think maybe it is related to Pythagorean triples. Thanks

Hi Amer,

A small bit of history about this is given in the following Wikipedia article and perhaps by following the links to the references (such as the book "History of the theory of Numbers") you might be able to learn more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermat's_theorem_on_sums_of_two_squares