Who are the Top Comedians of All Time?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, There are many funny people who have made their mark in the world of comedy, from actors like Robin Williams, Steve Martin, and Jerry Seinfeld to old-timers like Jack Benny and Abbott & Costello. Some people also enjoy the humor of Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean), Eddie Murphy, and John Cleese, while others appreciate the comedic talents of comedians like Bill Cosby, Matt LeBlanc, and Lisa Kudrow. Many people also have a soft spot for classic shows like "Your Show of Shows" and "I Love Lucy," and the timeless hilarity of Monty Python continues to entertain audiences of all ages. Ultimately, everyone has their own personal favorites when it comes to the funniest people
I saw a sidesplitting video, 100 minutes "straight" of Robin William's solo manic antics. My doctor thinks he is diagnosable as schizoaffective.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just have to mention Flip Wilson. I know most folks here won't remember him, but I sure loved him when I was a tiny tot. Anyone remember "Geraldine"?

Chevy Chase, my favorite movie of his was "Christmas Vacation". I can't count the times I have watched that movie. :biggrin:

He injured himself pretty badly with all the prat falls on Saturday Night Live as the clutzy President Ford.

Anyone remember President Ford?

Did anyone ever consider the irony of Chevy doing Ford?

Sorry, the devil made me do it! Uh oh, here come da judge...

Evo said:
Anyone remember President Ford?

I gave my parents a video of all the SNL Christmas specials for Christmas last year. There's classic footage of Chevy as Pres. Ford trying to trim the Whitehouse Christmas tree. (Ladder required to reach the top of the tree of course.) Hilarity ensues! :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
Sorry, the devil made me do it! Uh oh, here come da judge...

hee hee hee! I love it! :rofl:

Yep, I agree with Evo on the Chevy Chase vacation movies.

For those who mentioned Robin Williams, there is his short but sweet rendition of the Pointer Sisters' song Fire at the top of this list at this page: http://www.toontracker.com/demented/demented.htm

The same link, down near the bottom, has the immortal Blue Christmas done Porky Pig style.

Math Is Hard said:
I gave my parents a video of all the SNL Christmas specials for Christmas last year. There's classic footage of Chevy as Pres. Ford trying to trim the Whitehouse Christmas tree. (Ladder required to reach the top of the tree of course.) Hilarity ensues! :rofl:
That's a classic! :biggrin:

I think some of the early stuff that Eddy Murphy did on SNL was legendary. Of course the writing helps but he could pull of satire with the best of them. Anyone remember Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood? or "I'm Gumby damnit!", or Butt Wheat? I can still see the slow motion repeats of Butt Wheat getting shot; over, and over, and over. :rofl:

Janitor, thanks for the link!

Loren Booda said:
I saw a sidesplitting video, 100 minutes "straight" of Robin William's solo manic antics. My doctor thinks he is diagnosable as schizoaffective.
Nah. William's official diagnosis is Hypermaniacal Looneybird with Touretticklish Features. Check your DSM-IV. That's on the axis between Lunar Psychotics and Fruitcake Disorders.

Ivan Seeking said:
or Butt Wheat? I can still see the slow motion repeats of Butt Wheat getting shot; over, and over, and over. :rofl:
OMG! YES! :rofl: :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
I think some of the early stuff that Eddy Murphy did on SNL was legendary. Of course the writing helps but he could pull of satire with the best of them. Anyone remember Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood? or "I'm Gumby damnit!"
Those were so funny, you're bringing back memories. :biggrin:

zoobyshoe said:
Nah. William's official diagnosis is Hypermaniacal Looneybird with Touretticklish Features. Check your DSM-IV. That's on the axis between Lunar Psychotics and Fruitcake Disorders.

He was a cocaine addict when at his best! I once saw an interview in which he was asked if he agrees that he is not as funny since he quit using cocaine - which was right after Belushi's death I think... I'm not sure how he responded but the overwhelming impression was an affirmative. I guess mixing cocaine and Williams was like putting a match to dynamite - the guy would just explode into these long, unscripted rants that were absolutely hillarious. Much of what was seen on the Mork and Mindy show was unscripted. His spontateous outbursts of insanity on camera would often win the day. I guess insanity is funny? :biggrin:

zoobyshoe said:

Fruitcake !

That reminds me of the Pete Stark incident. Boy, was that something comical or what ?!:rofl:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I guess insanity is funny? :biggrin:
Actually, manic people are often incredibly charming and can be amazingly entertaining if they're in that kind of mania. I suppose being on cocaine is about the same thing.

Edit: Johnathan Winters is diagnosed bipolar. Every now and then he has to go "away" to a quiet institution somewhere to grow his lost marbles back.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Fruitcake !
Don't call me a fruitcake. I'm hypo-batty.
That reminds me of the Pete Stark incident.
Never heard of him. What happened?

There is a lady that I knew long ago in a land far, far away, who was as nuts as anyone I have seen functioning in "normal" social circles. Now in her 70's [I would think], she assumes the charater or various historical figures and can single handedly keep a crowd entertained for an hour or two - a one woman show. She does this for civic groups, dinner theater and other public forums that are appropriate. Considering what I remember of her eccentricities this makes perfect sense; really. She probably believes she really is the character she plays. I would bet the whole thing is a fantasy for her; one that pays well no less.

Anchorman? The local news reporters were raving about it one morning - too true they say.

Actually, it was Old School.

I watched Anchorman the day it came out. The last time I went to the cinema was about 2 years ago.

Old School is a hilarious movie. Watch it if you like comedies.

Probably the funniest movie I've seen this year.

I'd like to mention Ray Romano in this thread too, since he's pretty funny too.

zoobyshoe said:
Don't call me a fruitcake. I'm hypo-batty.

Never heard of him. What happened?

Rep. Pete Stark (D) Calif, I think is 70-odd years old and umm...has a way with words, shall we say.

Pete Stark to Bill Thomas (chmn. House Ways & Means Comm.) : "... it overwhelms me, Mr. Chairman, just like your intellect does. It is -- oh, you think you are big enough to make me, you little wimp? Come on. Come over here and make me. I dare you. ...You little fruitcake. You little fruitcake. I said, you are a fruitcake."

Bill Thomas called the sergeant at arms, and called in the Capitol Police to restrain Grampa Stark. This incident made all the news shows.

Another Pete Stark gem : ''Dan, this is Congressman Pete Stark, and I just got your fax. And you don’t know what you’re talking about. So if you care about enlisted people, you wouldn’t have voted for that thing either. But probably somebody put you up to this, and I’m not sure who it was, but I doubt if you could spell half the words in the letter, and somebody wrote it for you. So I don’t pay much attention to it. But I’ll call you back later and let you tell me more about why you think you’re such a great goddamn hero and why you think that [these] generals and the Defense Department, who forced these poor enlisted guys to do what they did, shouldn’t be held to account. That’s the issue. So if you want to stick it to a bunch of enlisted guys, have it your way. But if you want to get to the bottom of people who forced this awful program in Iraq, then you should understand more about it than you obviously do. Thanks.''

Gokul43201 said:
You little fruitcake. You little fruitcake. I said, you are a fruitcake."
I see. Eloquent, verbally creative. My kind of guy.

Dagenais said:
I'd like to mention Ray Romano in this thread too, since he's pretty funny too.
You love Raymond? So do I. I guess everybody loves Raymond.

Ivan Seeking said:
...can single handedly keep a crowd entertained for an hour or two - a one woman show.
If you followed the TV show "ER" you may remember the episode where Maggie's bipolar mother shows up at the hospital out of nowhere, and while she's waiting for Maggie to arrive, kind of takes over the ER with a non-stop monolog that has everyone quite amused. (It's clear that she's a little nutty, but no one realizes she's manic.)

Gokul43201 said:
Anyone seen the "Carry On" series ? I saw them as a kid and thought they were hilarious. Now I'd probably feel differently.

Just your regular crude, ribald slapstick...but they tickled me silly.

They had their moments, particularly Kenneth Williams:

"Your mail, doctor?"

"Yes I am and I can prove it!"

Ivan Seeking said:
I think some of the early stuff that Eddy Murphy did on SNL was legendary. Of course the writing helps but he could pull of satire with the best of them. Anyone remember Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood? or "I'm Gumby damnit!", or Butt Wheat? I can still see the slow motion repeats of Butt Wheat getting shot; over, and over, and over. :rofl:

Or the immortal "Butt Wheat Tings for the Tids," or his classic love songs such as "Your once, twice, free times a madey." I still crack up over that.

There are so many great comedians. Bill Hicks is one of my favourites.
A little dark but that's par for the course.
Laurel and Hardy can make me hysterical on a good day.
Chevy Chase in National Lampoon's Christmas vacation for his bizarre facial expressions and the scene where he gets trapped in the attic.

Last edited:
Back