Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who's Who Listing

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is too funny.

Today I received this e-mail at my work from a "Who's Who" publisher supposedly for "Business Professionals". It's some networking resource.

I wasn't familiar with the publisher, then I found this ad they had in a technical online news source.

How many spelling and grammatical errors can you find? I use "Blank's" instead of the company name, and I use lower case or omit an apostrophe to duplicate what was printed. I don't know who approved this copy, but it made up my mind not to be listed, even for free.

:bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume the enclosed application includes enough information that your name will soon be widely known to the world as having opened more credit card accounts, bank loans, and businesses than previously considered humanly possible?

Interesting twist on what had almost become a boring scam.

4. Mar 26, 2008 #3
    I got something like that, but for school. They said I would be in a "who's who" list of students because I was so awesome. I did some digging, and the whole schtick is that you buy their book with the list of who's whos in it and obviously they get money from that, and you feel good because you are in it.

It's just preying on losers in hopes that they are pathetic enough to spend money on it.

5. Mar 26, 2008 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, a quick search and I'd guess Evo's talking about Madison's Who's Who. A little more aggressive vanity publishing scam where they eventually do ask for money via credit card, then add on extra services and fees the customer never asked for, plus continue assessing fees for months after you try to cancel the service.

Not quite the typical Nigerian scam. Semi-legitimate and only taking their customers for $200 or $300 when all is said and done. A customer could probably get their money back with enough effort, but taking small amounts means they normally won't get anything more than abusive complaints.

If they could spell, it wouldn't be so easy to figure out who Evo was talking about.

Edit: The actual name doesn't matter, since the names can change pretty fast. The scam works best if their name isn't popping up as a scam as soon as you search for them.

http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2007/04/victoria-strauss-beware-whos-who.html

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  6. Mar 26, 2008 #5

Evo

I was reading about it, apparently you can "buy" a special listing. :rolleyes: The "basic" listing is free.

They can't even spell!

If I allowed them to list me, I'd be bombarded by people looking for jobs. No thanks.

7. Mar 26, 2008 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How come they don't have a Doctor Who's Who?

8. Mar 26, 2008 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It actually included the word "chump." That alone makes me laugh uncontrollably.

- Warren

9. Mar 26, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But it was "...(this is) no chump's place to be."

:rofl:

10. Mar 26, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

His girlfriend is a writer...maybe he should have asked her to proofread. :rofl:

I used to get those "invitations" all the time. I guess I'm less important now. :rolleyes: At the time, the best I could tell was they were just a gimmick to play on one's vanity to get you to buy a book with information about a bunch of other people vain enough to include their names and buy a copy too. Maybe it's evolved since then into more of a phishing type scam.

11. Mar 26, 2008 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's called "barrel-rolling." A student who gets in the "Who's Who" gets to nominate a Teacher to be in the Teacher's "Who's Who." And guess what? That teacher gets to nominate a student to be in the Who's Who, the next year, who gets to nominate a teacher who gets to nominate a student who gets to nominate a teacher who gets to nominate a student who gets to nominate a teacher who gets to nominate a student who gets to nominate a teacher.

The "National Student Leadership Council" works the same way. I get stuff from both these organizations every year. Right in the cylindrical file.

12. Mar 26, 2008 #11
    In spite of my mediocre results in High School, I was invited to have my name published in the High School Whose Hoo back in 1968. For a small fee of course. I didn't pay and as a result nobody knows my name. I did get my name published in Who Cares though. Every year.

13. Mar 26, 2008 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My name is in the Phone book!

Wait, no it isn't.

14. Mar 26, 2008 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it is! I heard it when Raymond was reciting names from the phone book in Rain Man. You're famous, dude!

I had my name in the phone book once and people used to call me all the time. Unfortunately, most of them were from the same family and were all named Bill.

15. Mar 26, 2008 #14

Evo

Exactly. No chumps here.

How do people get duped into this kind of thing?

16. Mar 26, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

I figure that they could buy lists of names from the "star registry" people who pay to have stars named after their friends or relatives. Pet Rocks were sold at retail, so the names of the buyers weren't collected. That would be another rich pool of "clients".

17. Mar 26, 2008 #16
    I've been involved in a legitimate Who's Who and a illegitimate Who's Who, and neither one has ever asked me to nominate anyone. I believe a professor nominated me for the legit one. I have no idea how the scam ones (three different companies) got my name.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?