Why are Belgium's liberals facing legal challenges and being declared illegal?

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter GENIERE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Belgium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 5K views
marlon said:
Indeed in the early days the statements of the VB were sometimes eerr of dubious nature. But it needs to be stressed that the party which is now called the Vlaams Belang has changed some of the more radical statements in their programme.

Ok, I have nothing to say there, I am talking about the VB I knew, say, 8 years ago. I suppose that in the mean time they've realized they were bad boys and all have returned their membership of the KKK :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe a piece of information is useful here:
Belgium must be one of the few countries in the world where voting is not a choice, but is obliged (if you don't vote, you get a fine).

I have to say that long ago I thought that that was a good thing, but it might also explain the strong rise of populist extreme-right. I don't know if there are any data on this.
 
vanesch said:
Maybe a piece of information is useful here:
Belgium must be one of the few countries in the world where voting is not a choice, but is obliged (if you don't vote, you get a fine).

People have died for this luxury...voting should be obliged...get out of your lazy chairs and go to vote :zzz: , you know...

I have to say that long ago I thought that that was a good thing, but it might also explain the strong rise of populist extreme-right. I don't know if there are any data on this.

Yes there are and you are going to like them. Studies have shown that the VB would lose the greatest amount of votes if voting was to be free and not obliged. These results were mentioned on the news just a few weeks ago...



regards
marlon
 
Just heard an analysis from a sociologue this weekend. He analysed why people vote for this party:

1. They feel unsure and/or not able to understand the world anymore where we live in.
2. They have ideological reasons: Flanders should be separated from the rest of the country / racist or close oppionions and such.

He rightly added that this party was making people feeling unsure / unsafe / not understanding complex politics by their demagogic pamflets that they send out on a very regular basis to everybody.