Why are carbon, platinum, and gold inert in electrolysis?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
kang_an1983
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Why are carbon, platinum and gold inert?

Homework Equations



Duplet or Octet configuration

The Attempt at a Solution


We use inert elements such as carbon, platinum and gold as the electrodes to prevent the electrodes react with the electrolyte. As far as I know the inert elements are noble gases only that satisfy the duplet (He element) or octet configuration.
Since carbon, platinum and gold do not satisfy the duplet or octet configuration, why are they inert?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"inert" is a bit of an exaggeration. "Resistant" is a better term.

You should review http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_metals"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your respond.
I have already read about noble metal and I am still confused..hehehe...Why are gold and platinum resistant to corrosion? I have already read about Galvanic Series too. What is the basic to arrange the Galvanic Series? Why is Carbon placed on the first position in Galvanic Series?