Why are <dx/dt> and <dp/dt> 0?

• I
  • Thread starter EquationOfMotion
  • Start date
In summary: Now, ##T## is an operator that changes (as an operator) with time. If you apply it at ##t=0##, then ##T(0) = L##. But, if you apply it at time ##t=1##, then ##T(1) = eL##.The measurements you get over time now depend on two things: the time evolution of the system (which determines the expected value of ##L##) and the time dependence of your operator ##T##. If the state of the system is ##\Psi(x, t)##, then:##T\Psi = e^tL\Psi##And,
EquationOfMotion
Hello,

on the Wikipedia page for a general example of the Ehrenfest theorem, they note that <dp/dt> and <dx/dt> because the operators p and x have no explicit time dependence. But we have

<dp/dt> = <ψ | (d/dt)pψ>
<dx/dt> = <ψ | (d/dt)xψ>

and I can't seem to prove that these inner products (which become integrals) go to 0. I'm definitely misunderstanding something here, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your link doesn't show that they are zero, so I don't follow your question. The link also does not contain the equations you've written out here.

king vitamin said:
Your link doesn't show that they are zero, so I don't follow your question. The link also does not contain the equations you've written out here.

"Suppose we wanted to know the instantaneous change in momentum p. Using Ehrenfest's theorem, we have

<[p, H]>/(ih) + <dp/dt> = <[p, V]>/(ih)

since the operator p commutes with itself and has no time dependence." Given H = p^2/(2m) + V and p = -ih(d/dx), [p, H] = [p,V], which implies that <dp/dt> = 0. Ditto for <dx/dt>.

EquationOfMotion said:
Given H = p^2/(2m) + V and p = -ih(d/dx), [p, H] = [p,V], which implies that <dp/dt> = 0.

It does not imply that, because V may be (in fact, it usually is) a function of x.

king vitamin said:
It does not imply that, because V may be (in fact, it usually is) a function of x.

Do we not have that <[p, H]>/(ih) + <dp/dt> = <[p, V]>/(ih) + <dp/dt>? Why not?

We do, but I'm not understanding how that leads to <dp/dt> = 0. I feel that you are also not being careful in distinguishing partial and total derivatives... in this post I am using the total derivative; are you asking why the partial derivative vanishes?

king vitamin said:
We do, but I'm not understanding how that leads to <dp/dt> = 0. I feel that you are also not being careful in distinguishing partial and total derivatives... in this post I am using the total derivative; are you asking why the partial derivative vanishes?

I am indeed not being careful with partial and total derivatives, apologies for the confusion. More correctly, we have

<[p, H]>/(ih) + <∂p/∂t> = <[p, V]>/(ih) + <∂p/∂t> = <[p, V]>/(ih), which implies <∂p/∂t> = 0.

EquationOfMotion said:
I am indeed not being careful with partial and total derivatives, apologies for the confusion. More correctly, we have

<[p, H]>/(ih) + <∂p/∂t> = <[p, V]>/(ih) + <∂p/∂t> = <[p, V]>/(ih), which implies <∂p/∂t> = 0.

It's not just that ##\langle \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} \rangle = 0##; it's that ##\frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = 0##. I.e. the form of the operator does not change over time.

A time-dependent operator would be something like ##e^{t}p##, for example.

PeroK said:
It's not just that ##\langle \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} \rangle = 0##; it's that ##\frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = 0##. I.e. the form of the operator does not change over time.

A time-dependent operator would be something like ##e^{t}p##, for example.

Doesn't this mean ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \hat{p} f(x,t)## for any function ##f(x,t)##? Any intuition on this?

EquationOfMotion said:
Doesn't this mean ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \hat{p} f(x,t)## for any function ##f(x,t)##? Any intuition on this?

I don't understand your question. The operator ##p## doesn't change over time. I.e. the operator representing momentum doesn't change, as an operator, over time.

PeroK said:
I don't understand your question. The operator ##p## doesn't change over time. I.e. the operator representing momentum doesn't change, as an operator, over time.

Are you allowed to directly take partial derivatives of operators? I was under the impression you needed a test function.

EquationOfMotion said:
Are you allowed to directly take partial derivatives of operators? I was under the impression you needed a test function.

Your getting confused. An operator can be made dependent of time, as an operator. You only need test functions to see what an operator does.

If you take my example. Let ##L## be a linear operator. You can define a time dependent linear operator by ##T = e^tL##.

Now, ##T## is an operator that changes (as an operator) with time. If you apply it at ##t=0##, then ##T(0) = L##. But, if you apply it at time ##t=1##, then ##T(1) = eL##.

The measurements you get over time now depend on two things: the time evolution of the system (which determines the expected value of ##L##) and the time dependence of your operator ##T##. If the state of the system is ##\Psi(x, t)##, then:

##T\Psi = e^tL\Psi##

And, if you take the (total) time derivative of that (exercise for you), the you can see that it depends on the change in the system and the change in your operator ##T##.

Last edited:
Likes EquationOfMotion
PeroK said:
Your getting confused. An operator can be made dependent of time, as an operator. You only need test functions to see what an operator does.

If you take my example. Let ##L## be a linear operator. You can define a time dependent linear operator by ##T = e^tL##.

Now, ##T## is an operator that changes (as an operator) with time. If you apply it at ##t=0##, then ##T(0) = L##. But, if you apply it at time ##t=1##, then ##T(1) = eL##.

So more correctly, we'd have ##(\frac{\partial p}{\partial t})Ψ##. But of course, you take the time derivative of ##p## first, which means this becomes ##(0)Ψ = 0##? Or is there something else I'm missing?

EquationOfMotion said:
So more correctly, we'd have ##(\frac{\partial p}{\partial t})Ψ##. But of course, you take the time derivative of ##p## first, which means this becomes ##(0)Ψ = 0##? Or is there something else I'm missing?

I'm sorry to say that I can't make much sense of that.

EquationOfMotion said:
we have

You have the logic backwards. It is already known that ##\partial p / \partial t = 0##; that is not deduced from the equation quoted above. Rather, because it is already known that ##\partial p / \partial t = 0##, its expectation value ##\langle \partial p / \partial t \rangle## must be zero as well, so it can be removed from the equation.

How do we know ##\partial p / \partial t = 0##? Because the operator ##p## is ##- i \hbar \partial / \partial x##, which obviously does not depend on ##t##, so its partial derivative with respect to ##t## is zero.

Likes bhobba

1. Why are and 0?

and refer to the rates of change of position and momentum, respectively. When these values are equal to 0, it means that there is no change in position or momentum over time. This could be due to a variety of factors such as a constant velocity or a state of equilibrium.

2. How do and affect motion?

and are related to the concepts of velocity and momentum, which are crucial in understanding motion. When these values are not equal to 0, it indicates that there is a change in position or momentum over time, which can affect the speed and direction of an object's motion.

3. What does it mean when and have different values?

If and have different values, it means that there is a change in both position and momentum occurring at the same time. This could be due to various factors such as acceleration or an external force acting on the object.

4. Can and ever be negative?

Yes, and can be negative. This would indicate that there is a decrease in position or momentum over time, which could be due to factors such as deceleration or a decrease in external forces acting on the object.

5. How are and related to each other?

The relationship between and is described by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. This principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time, and thus and are related by this principle.