Why are photons described by real field?

In summary: No, this is not what I said, and it is not correct. For example, SU(2) has the property that all its representations are real, yet its fundamental representation [2] can be realized in terms of doublets of complex spinor fields like q(x) = \begin{pmatrix} u(x) \\ d(x) \end{pmatrix} , l(x) = \begin{pmatrix} e(x) \\ \nu_{e}(x) \end{pmatrix} \ , and its adjoint representation [3] can have multiplets consist of three real scalar fields (not realized in nature) some times called the phions \
xxfzero
Why are photons described by real field, while electrons by complex field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Define the fields, and do the math, and see.

(Aside: are particles described by fields - or are they understood as disturbances of the field?)

Simon Bridge said:
Define the fields, and do the math, and see.

(Aside: are particles described by fields - or are they understood as disturbances of the field?)
Oh, sorry, field is a loose statement. I just refer to plane wave or other eigenfunctions by "field" (please see the attached figures, both from Scully's Quantum optics, one from pp5, the other pp27).
photon real field pp5.png

electron complex field pp27.png

A complete statement should be that photons are always described by real function when treated as classical field, while are described by Hermitian field operator after quantization; in contrast, electrons are always described by complex wavefunction in quantum mechanics, while are described by non-Hermitian field operator after (second) quantization.

xxfzero said:
Why are photons described by real field
Because they don't carry any kind of charges.
, while electrons by complex field?
Because they are charged particles. In general, the quanta of real field have vanishing (Noether) charge, while those of complex field carry non-zero charge.

Likes vanhees71 and xxfzero
samalkhaiat said:

Because they are charged particles. In general, the quanta of real field have vanishing (Noether) charge, while those of complex field carry non-zero charge.

Oh, thank you very much. So if I can roughly speak that when someone gives me a kind of particle, I should check if it has any kinds of Noether charge, then decide either write it as real field or complex field?

Another question is could you please recommend me some book/chapters where systematically discuss the correlation between real field/complex field and zero/nonzero Noether charges?

Thank you very much once again.

samalkhaiat said:
Gluons carry SU(3) charge, they are described by real gauge fields.

samalkhaiat said:
while those of complex field carry non-zero charge.
Although you may perfectly well have a complex field that is a gauge singlet.

In the end, it boils down to the adjoint representation being real.

Likes vanhees71 and xxfzero
Orodruin said:
Gluons carry SU(3) charge, they are described by real gauge fields.Although you may perfectly well have a complex field that is a gauge singlet.

Oh, thank you very much, too

Could you please recommend me some book/chapters where systematically discuss the correlation between real field/complex field and real/complex adjoint representation?

Orodruin said:
Gluons carry SU(3) charge, they are described by real gauge fields.

Although you may perfectly well have a complex field that is a gauge singlet.

If you have to include non-Abelian gauge theories into the game, then you need to modify my statement by the phrase “gauge-invariant Noether charge”. The charge, [tex]Q_{a} = - C_{abc} \int d^{3}x \ G^{0j}_{b} (x) \ A_{cj}(x) ,[/tex] which is carried by (the self-interacting) non-Abelian gauge fields (i.e., your Gluons charge) is conserved but it is not gauge invariant. You can easily show that under arbitrary gauge transformation [itex]U(x) \in SU(3)[/itex], you get [tex]\mathbb{Q} \to \int dS_{j} \ U^{-1}(x) \mathbb{E}^{j}(x) U(x) ,[/tex] where [itex]\mathbb{Q} = Q_{a}T^{a}[/itex], [itex]\mathbb{E}^{j} = T^{a} E^{j}_{a}[/itex] and [itex]E^{j}_{a}(x) = G^{j0}_{a}(x)[/itex] is the chromo-electric field.

Likes vanhees71
xxfzero said:
Oh, thank you very much. So if I can roughly speak that when someone gives me a kind of particle, I should check if it has any kinds of Noether charge, then decide either write it as real field or complex field?
No, we don't work this way. If we believe that [itex]G[/itex] is a symmetry of nature, then the irreducible representations of [itex]G[/itex] and experiment tell us about the allowed fields, Lagrangians and charges.

Likes vanhees71
samalkhaiat said:
No, we don't work this way. If we believe that [itex]G[/itex] is a symmetry of nature, then the irreducible representations of [itex]G[/itex] and experiment tell us about the allowed fields, Lagrangians and charges.

I asked this question somewhere else and got a similar answer that real/complex field comes from real/complex representation (just experiment not mentioned), is this answer OK?

And, still, I want to know what the correlation between real field/complex field and real/complex representation is, could you please recommend some book/chapters?

xxfzero said:
that real/complex field comes from real/complex representation, is this answer OK?

No, this is not what I said, and it is not correct. For example, [itex]SU(2)[/itex] has the property that all its representations are real, yet its fundamental representation [itex][2][/itex] can be realized in terms of doublets of complex spinor fields like [tex] q(x) = \begin{pmatrix} u(x) \\ d(x) \end{pmatrix} , l(x) = \begin{pmatrix} e(x) \\ \nu_{e}(x) \end{pmatrix} \ , [/tex] and its adjoint representation [itex][3][/itex] can have multiplets consist of three real scalar fields (not realized in nature) some times called the phions [tex]\vec{\varphi} = \begin{pmatrix} \varphi_{1} \\ \varphi_{2} \\ \varphi_{3} \end{pmatrix} \ ,[/tex] and a triplet containing two complex and one real scalar fields, this is the usual pion triplet [itex](\pi^{\pm} , \pi^{0})[/itex]. Mathematically, the two triplets are equivalent to each other, but the experiment rules out the phions triplet in favour of the pions.
And, still, I want to know what the correlation between real field/complex field and real/complex representation is,
There is no such "correlation". Nothing prevent you from taking complex combinations if the dimension of the representation space is greater than one.
could you please recommend some book/chapters?
If you have not yet studied group theory, then you should start doing it now.

Likes xxfzero
samalkhaiat said:
No, this is not what I said, and it is not correct. For example, [itex]SU(2)[/itex] has the property that all its representations are real, yet its fundamental representation [itex][2][/itex] can be realized in terms of doublets of complex spinor fields like [tex] q(x) = \begin{pmatrix} u(x) \\ d(x) \end{pmatrix} , l(x) = \begin{pmatrix} e(x) \\ \nu_{e}(x) \end{pmatrix} \ , [/tex] and its adjoint representation [itex][3][/itex] can have multiplets consist of three real scalar fields (not realized in nature) some times called the phions [tex]\vec{\varphi} = \begin{pmatrix} \varphi_{1} \\ \varphi_{2} \\ \varphi_{3} \end{pmatrix} \ ,[/tex] and a triplet containing two complex and one real scalar fields, this is the usual pion triplet [itex](\pi^{\pm} , \pi^{0})[/itex]. Mathematically, the two triplets are equivalent to each other, but the experiment rules out the phions triplet in favour of the pions.

There is no such "correlation". Nothing prevent you from taking complex combinations if the dimension of the representation space is greater than one.

If you have not yet studied group theory, then you should start doing it now.

OK, thank you. I'll firstly read group theory, esp. representation part, and then return.

xxfzero said:
OK, thank you. I'll firstly read group theory, esp. representation part, and then return.

Very good, I am sure you will not regret it. Physicists have absolutely no excuse to be illiterates in group theory. However, the answer to your original question (which I gave in #4) requires no deep knowledge in group theory. Let me refine my answer in #4.
1) If [itex]P[/itex] is a particle carrying a conserved global-[itex]U(1)[/itex] charge [itex]Q_{P}[/itex], then its anti-particle [itex]\bar{P}[/itex] must have charge [itex]Q_{\bar{P}} = - Q_{P}[/itex]. This means that you need a complex field to describe [itex]P[/itex].
2) If [itex]P[/itex] does not carry any [itex]U(1)[/itex] charge, then [itex]P[/itex] is also its own anti-particle, i.e., [itex]P \equiv \bar{P}[/itex]. In this case, [itex]P[/itex] require a real field.
So, real fields cannot carry any [itex]U(1)[/itex] charge. We can actually prove this for mesons and fermions.
1) The mesons ([itex]M[/itex]) case: This is easy, recall that the Noether current for meson field has the form [tex]J_{\mu}(M) = \left(\partial_{\mu}\varphi^{*}\right) \varphi - \varphi^{*} \partial_{\mu} \varphi .[/tex] Clearly [itex]J_{\mu}(M) = 0[/itex] when [itex]\varphi^{*} = \varphi[/itex].
2) The fermions [itex]F[/itex] case: This is a tricky one. Real spinor (Majorana) fields satisfy the following condition [tex]\Psi = C \bar{\Psi}^{T} , \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex] where [itex]C = - C^{T} = - C^{-1}[/itex] is the charge conjugation matrix, and the super-script [itex]T[/itex] stands for transpose. We also have the following relation [tex]\gamma_{\mu} = C^{T}\gamma_{\mu}^{T}C^{-1} . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex] Now, the Noether current for spinor field is given by [tex]J_{\mu}(F) = \bar{\Psi} \gamma_{\mu} \Psi .[/tex] Substituting (1) and (2), we get [tex]J_{\mu}(F) = \bar{\Psi}C^{T} \gamma_{\mu}^{T} \bar{\Psi}^{T} .[/tex] Using the property [itex](AB)^{T} = B^{T}A^{T}[/itex], we find [tex]J_{\mu}(F) = \left( C \bar{\Psi}^{T} \right)^{T} \left( \bar{\Psi} \gamma_{\mu}\right)^{T} .[/tex] Using Eq(1) again, we find [tex]J_{\mu}(F) = (\Psi)^{T} (\bar{\Psi} \gamma_{\mu})^{T} .[/tex] Now, one has to be careful when using the transpose property. Because the [itex]\Psi[/itex]’s are anti-commuting numbers (real Grassmann numbers), they pick a minus sign when the order is switched. So, [tex]J_{\mu}(F) = - \left( \bar{\Psi} \gamma_{\mu} \Psi \right)^{T} = - J_{\mu}^{T}(F) .[/tex] But, [itex]J_{\mu}[/itex] is a number (not a matrix), so [itex]J^{T}_{\mu} = J_{\mu}[/itex]. Thus [tex]J_{\mu}(F) = - J_{\mu}(F) , \ \Rightarrow \ J_{\mu}(F) = 0 .[/tex]

Likes dextercioby and ShayanJ

1. Why are photons described by real field?

Photons are described by a real field because they are considered to be fundamental particles that make up electromagnetic radiation. This field is used to describe the behavior and interactions of photons, as well as their propagation through space.

2. What is the significance of using a real field to describe photons?

The use of a real field to describe photons allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of their properties and behavior. It also allows for the prediction and explanation of various phenomena, such as the photoelectric effect and the emission of light from atoms.

3. How does the real field description of photons differ from other models?

The real field description of photons differs from other models, such as the wave-particle duality model, in that it treats photons as excitations of a quantized field rather than individual particles or waves. This model is consistent with the principles of quantum mechanics and has been successful in explaining a wide range of experimental results.

4. Can the real field description of photons be visualized?

The real field description of photons can be difficult to visualize because it involves a mathematical representation of the field rather than a physical one. However, some models and simulations have been developed to provide visualizations of the behavior and interactions of photons described by a real field.

5. How does the real field description of photons relate to the concept of electromagnetic waves?

The real field description of photons is closely related to the concept of electromagnetic waves because photons are considered to be the quanta of these waves. This means that the real field describes the behavior of individual photons, while the concept of electromagnetic waves describes the collective behavior of a large number of photons.