Why are planets visible in a telescope in the daylight?

In summary, planets are visible in telescopes during daylight because they are very bright objects, such as Venus which can even be seen with the naked eye during the day. However, telescopes allow for a better resolution and comparison of the object's surface brightness to the surrounding sky. Andromeda galaxy can also be seen with a small telescope in zenith, even in areas with high humidity and light pollution. However, it may be difficult to spot without aid in areas with high light pollution.
truffaldino
Why are planets visible in telescope in daylight?

As far as I understand both 1) total light flux from the planet 2) and that from the atmosphere receved by scope are proportional to the aperture area. So why then we can see the planets?

And I have realted question. I am my city humidity and light polution are very high, so that one can see only stars with apparent magnitude less than 3 in zenith. Is it possible to see Andromeda galaxy in small telescope (8cm aperture) when it will be close to zenith.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
truffaldino said:
Why are planets visible in telescope in daylight?

Because they are very bright objects

Maybe you didn't know that Venus is visible in daytime WITHOUT a telescope ... just your eyes
truffaldino said:
Is it possible to see Andromeda galaxy in small telescope (8cm aperture) when it will be close to zenith.
possibly, with difficulty ... I cannot try that at home, Andromeda only gets around 15 deg above the horizon

Likes truffaldino
truffaldino said:
Im my city humidity and light polution are very high, so that one can see only stars with apparent magnitude less than 3 in zenith. Is it possible to see Andromeda galaxy in small telescope (8cm aperture) when it will be close to zenith.

Can you find the constellation Cassiopeia? If you can, I think that you should be able to the see the Andromeda galaxy as a grey smudge fairly easily with 8 cm. My sky is a little better than yours, and I can easily see Andromeda with 5 cm binoculars.

Likes truffaldino
davenn said:
Because they are very bright objects

Maybe you didn't know that Venus is visible in daytime WITHOUT a telescope ... just your eyes

As far as I understand one can see objects that are not, in principle, visible with naked eyes (eg Jupiter at noon). It is a known fact that telescope does not amplify surface brightness. So I can understand why one can see stars in telescope at the noon, (angular size of a star is practically zero). But it is a different story for an extended object.

truffaldino said:
So I can understand why one can see stars in telescope at the noon, (angular size of a star is practically zero). But it is a different story for an extended object.
yeah but for practical viewing purposes, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn can be regarded at close to point sources
But again, you just don't seem to realize how bright those 3 planets are ...

over the years, ( lots of them, I'm 60 now), I have seen Venus in the daytime sky and often quite close to the sun. Have had to block the sun out with the side of a building or something.
I have never seen Jupiter in day time naked eye, only through a scope

Likes truffaldino
Your eyes have a finite resolution - larger than the angular diameter of Jupiter. With the naked eye you compare "a lot of sky" with "a lot of sky with a small bright object in it" - and don't see a difference (at least not enough to find Jupiter). With a telescope you can actually resolve Jupiter and compare "some sky" with "Jupiter's surface brightness". And then Jupiter wins.

Likes truffaldino and Charles Link
George Jones said:
Can you find the constellation Cassiopeia? If you can, I think that you should be able to the see the Andromeda galaxy as a grey smudge fairly easily with 8 cm. My sky is a little better than yours, and I can easily see Andromeda with 5 cm binoculars.
I was under the impression that Andromeda is potentially visible to the naked eye.
I've tried many times over the years to spot it, but have never done so. (and now my eyes are too old).

Likes truffaldino
DaveC426913 said:
I was under the impression that Andromeda is potentially visible to the naked eye.
I've tried many times over the years to spot it, but have never done so. (and now my eyes are too old).

Yes, I have seen it many,many times without aid. The light pollution in the city where the OP lives makes the sky too bright to see Andromeda unaided.

Likes truffaldino
DaveC426913 said:

It is, very easy, but not in daytime 😉 :wink:

It only gets around 15 deg above the northern horizon for me in Sydney, Australia. I cannot see it from home
too much city light pollution but it is easily seen from one of my darker sites to the north of the city

M33 a large face on spiral galaxy, not far from Andromeda (a handspan) is a much more difficult object to pick out naked eye.Dave

Likes truffaldino and Klystron
mfb said:
Your eyes have a finite resolution - larger than the angular diameter of Jupiter. With the naked eye you compare "a lot of sky" with "a lot of sky with a small bright object in it" - and don't see a difference (at least not enough to find Jupiter). With a telescope you can actually resolve Jupiter and compare "some sky" with "Jupiter's surface brightness". And then Jupiter wins.

Here's an example I just found comparing the moon and Jupiter during the day.

Published on Jun 11, 2016​
Conjunção Lua - Júpiter vista durante o dia em Fortaleza-CE 11/06/2016​
The photographer also caught the ISS fly by the moon during the day.

Published on Aug 24, 2016​
Transit from the International Space Station (ISS) through the unlit part of the moon. Canon SX40 without tripod. Calsky Stats: ISS - Crosses the disk of Moon. Separation = 0.208 ° Position Angle = 302.7 °, Position Angle vertex = 182.0 °. Transit duration = 0.38s Angular diameter = 58.1 "size = 109.0mx 73.0mx 27.5m Satellite at Azimuth = 303.1 ° WNW Altitude = 57.5 ° Distance = 475.7 km Magnitude = -3.8mag​

credits: Christine Leão, Fortaleza, Brazil

Likes truffaldino and davenn

1. Why can we see planets in a telescope during the day?

We can see planets in a telescope during the day because they reflect sunlight just like the moon does. This reflection makes them visible even when the sun is still in the sky.

2. How can we see planets in a telescope when the sun is so bright?

Telescopes are designed to capture and focus light, making it easier to see faint objects in the sky. By adjusting the telescope's settings and using filters, we can block out the bright light from the sun and see planets more clearly.

3. Why are some planets easier to see in the daylight than others?

The brightness and size of a planet, as well as its distance from the sun, all play a role in how visible it is in the daylight. For example, the gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn are much larger and reflect more light, making them easier to see compared to smaller planets like Mercury.

4. Can we see all planets in a telescope during the day?

No, not all planets are visible in a telescope during the day. The closer a planet is to the sun, the more difficult it is to see in the daylight. Planets like Mercury and Venus, which are closer to the sun than Earth, are only visible in the early morning or evening when the sun is low on the horizon.

5. Is it safe to look at planets in a telescope during the day?

Yes, it is safe to look at planets in a telescope during the day as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to never look directly at the sun through a telescope, as this can cause serious damage to your eyes. Instead, use a solar filter or projection method to view the planets safely.