Why Are So Many Threads Closed? Can People Discuss Non-Standard Model Ideas?

• Thread starter Gaz
  • Start date
In summary: You are all wrong. I have a great theory that explains everything. Prove me wrong." The former is welcome and the latter is not. Bring something to the table that can be discussed in terms of known science, and people will gladly discuss it with you. Bring something that is fundamentally flawed, and it's just an exercise in futility.For the rest of the reasons, you can find a lot of info in the Physics Forums Global Guidelines.In summary, some threads are closed because they are old and there is no point in continuing the discussion. PF's mission is to discuss known science, not personal theories or ideas that have no basis in known science. There are other websites where such discussions are welcomed, but PF is not
Gaz
Why is so many of the threads closed I'm reading a lot of posts then get to the bottom and they have been closed so I can't reply why are they all being closed ?

Also why can't people discus scientific ideas that are not published works of the "Standard Model" . I thought science was about questioning everything? How about a link were we can just go crazy and imagine new ways of looking at things. maybe dare to say I don't think it's photons I think it's actually a wave and here's why. That kind of thing allowed or not ?

Physics news on Phys.org
PF has tried that in the past but it became a maintenance headache. Threads automatically lock after a certain time period to avoid necro-posting. As for the rest of the reasons, you can find a lot of info in the Physics Forums Global Guidelines.

Gaz said:
Why is so many of the threads closed I'm reading a lot of posts then get to the bottom and they have been closed so I can't reply why are they all being closed ?

Old threads are automatically locked I think. It's rather pointless to try to reply to a thread that's several years old. The older the thread, the more likely it is that the people posting in the thread are no longer around.

Gaz said:
Also why can't people discus scientific ideas that are not published works of the "Standard Model" . I thought science was about questioning everything? How about a link were we can just go crazy and imagine new ways of looking at things. maybe dare to say I don't think it's photons I think it's actually a wave and here's why. That kind of thing allowed or not ?

From PF Terms and Rules:

Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science as it is currently generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community.

PF's mission is to teach people about known science, not to discuss things which are not part of known science. There are plenty of forums you can go to where you can discuss such things, but PF is not one of them.

Gaz said:
I thought science was about questioning everything? How about a link were we can just go crazy and imagine new ways of looking at things. maybe dare to say I don't think it's photons I think it's actually a wave and here's why.

Because people who post these things have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. They lack the necessary training, education, and experience to tell what is viable and what isn't. It's the same reason amateurs don't build multi-million dollar highway bridges. They don't know what they're doing. PF actually had a section for personal theories in the past, but it turned out badly. People would post their personal ideas and then ignore all criticism against them, so there was no point in having it around.

Likes artyb
lol Yes plenty Other sites If you want to talk about these things with people who are coo coo for cocoa puffs.

But I Would rather ask scientists about them they will at least try to educate you on why your wrong instead of insisting your wrong because the world is flat or something along them lines.

And finally your last sentence That is exactly what I'm on about even if they are wrong that is a really bad attitude all scientists seam to have against any idea that doesn't conform with the standard model.

And that's me done on the subject I'm not kicking up a fuss was just asking =)

Drakkith said:
They don't know what they're doing. PF actually had a section for personal theories in the past, but it turned out badly. People would post their personal ideas and then ignore all criticism against them, so there was no point in having it around.
From what I've seen, relativity and black holes are the two most recurrent thread topics where people post these types of misconceptions.

Here's a good example of what PF has gone through with people who just don't get it. Multiple PF members spent 8 hours and 11 pages trying to explain the basics of relativity in this thread (1.5 Times the Speed of Light) but the OP just kept repeating the same wrong things over and over. After it was locked, he actually PM'd me to try to continue the debate. I passed on that.

Likes Drakkith
Borg said:
From what I've seen, relativity and black holes are the two most recurrent thread topics where people post these types of misconceptions.

Here's a good example of what PF has gone through with people who just don't get it. Multiple PF members spent 8 hours and 11 pages trying to explain the basics of relativity in this thread (1.5 Times the Speed of Light) but the OP just kept repeating the same wrong things over and over. After it was locked, he actually PM'd me to try to continue the debate. I passed on that.
WOW. I knew the folks here (not counting me) were tolerant but that's over the top.

phinds said:
tolerant
Earlier version of the forum --- "pi is a rational number" ---
Borg said:
8 hours and 11 pages
--- months (?), weeks certainly, and I hesitate to guess the rest --- senseless slaughter of innocent electrons.

Gaz said:
lol Yes plenty Other sites If you want to talk about these things with people who are coo coo for cocoa puffs.

And no self-respecting scientist would waste his/her time there. Yet, we have plenty of scientists, engineers, etc. on here. There is something called signal-to-noise ratio that is often a factor in attracting such people.

But I Would rather ask scientists about them they will at least try to educate you on why your wrong instead of insisting your wrong because the world is flat or something along them lines.

There is a difference between asking "Hey, I don't understand this. Can you help me understand it?" versus "Hey, I think I can show that the limit on the speed of light is wrong. Now tell me why this is not right!" The former is by someone who wishes to learn. The latter is someone who is to lazy to learn.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/imagination-without-knowledge-is-ignorance-waiting-to-happen.765715/

And finally your last sentence That is exactly what I'm on about even if they are wrong that is a really bad attitude all scientists seam to have against any idea that doesn't conform with the standard model.

http://physicsandphysicists.blogspot.com/2006/10/imagination-without-knowledge-is_18.html
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...y-forum-like-we-need-a-computer-virus.765736/

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaz said:

Why? You seem to be under the impression that just throwing out uneducated opinions and ideas is useful. I know of no skilled profession that accepts advice from people who aren't trained in that profession. And let's be clear here. Scientists aren't against ideas that go against the standard model, they are against ideas that come from people who don't know what they're talking about. An idea from a trained scientist that goes against the standard model is accepted just fine. It's then run through peer review and looked over by their peers who determine if it has merit. That's how science progresses. Not by going through the streets asking random people for ideas and opinions, but by the application of the scientific method by trained professionals.

Likes e.bar.goum, billy_joule and phinds
In other words: you can't think outside of the box, not knowing where the box is.

1. Why do so many threads discussing non-standard model ideas get closed?

Threads discussing non-standard model ideas often get closed because they violate the forum's guidelines or rules. These rules are put in place to maintain a productive and respectful discussion among members.

2. Can't we have open discussions about non-standard model ideas?

While open discussions are encouraged in scientific discourse, it is important to remember that forums are not always the appropriate platform for these discussions. Additionally, non-standard model ideas may not have enough evidence or scientific support to be considered valid theories, making them more appropriate for other platforms or forums dedicated to alternative theories.

3. How does closing threads about non-standard model ideas affect scientific progress?

Closing threads about non-standard model ideas does not necessarily hinder scientific progress. In fact, it can promote scientific progress by maintaining a focus on evidence-based and peer-reviewed theories. It also helps prevent the spread of misinformation and pseudoscience.

4. Don't we have the right to discuss and explore all ideas, even if they are non-standard?

While freedom of speech is important, it is also important to consider the purpose and guidelines of the forum. If the forum is dedicated to discussing mainstream and scientifically supported ideas, it may not be the appropriate place for non-standard model discussions. However, there are other platforms and forums where these discussions can take place freely.

5. Is it fair to close threads about non-standard model ideas without giving them a chance to be heard?

The decision to close a thread is usually made by moderators based on the forum's guidelines. These guidelines are put in place to maintain a productive and respectful discussion among members. If a non-standard model idea is well-supported and has sufficient evidence, it may be allowed to be discussed in the appropriate forum or platform. However, if it violates the guidelines or lacks scientific support, it may be closed to maintain the integrity of the forum.