Why Are Space and Time Considered the Three Dimensions of Our Universe?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Jeffrey phalen
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Why do we see the dimensions of our universe as 3 dimensions of space and time instead of space, time, and matter? (Or another variation)
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jeffrey phalen said:
Why do we see the dimensions of our universe as 3 dimensions of space and time instead of space, time, and matter? (Or another variation)
In what way do you think matter is, or even could be, a dimension? What is your sense of what the word dimension even means?
 
phinds said:
In what way do you think matter is, or even could be, a dimension? What is your sense of what the word dimension even means?
Well a dimension to me would be the various parts of what something is made of. Space is made of height, width, and depth. Time is hard to explain for me but I understand the concept. I see how we group the two together, but that would also imply that matter is a byproduct of space and time. I guess the way I am looking at it right now electromagnetics sprout from matter and precieved in space over time.
 
Jeffrey phalen said:
Well a dimension to me would be the various parts of what something is made of.
Have you even done any research at all on what a dimension is or are you just deciding that you can make up your own definition?

Space is made of height, width, and depth.
No, space is not "made" of anything. Space is just geometry. H, W, and D are just ways of measuring things IN space.
Time is hard to explain for me but I understand the concept. I see how we group the two together, but that would also imply that matter is a byproduct of space and time.
No, it would not.

I guess the way I am looking at it right now electromagnetics sprout from matter and precieved in space over time.
and in what way does that make matter a dimension?

Jeffrey, in physics you can't(*) just make up your own definitions of things, you need to get straight on what standard terminology means.

* Well, you CAN, but it will not end well :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and Jeffrey phalen
Jeffrey phalen said:
Why do we see the dimensions of our universe as 3 dimensions of space and time instead of space, time, and matter? (Or another variation)
This is not an answer, I'm just using your premise to try to count things...
Hmmm...
Space (height): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Space (width): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Space (depth): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Time: 1 second + 1 second = 2 seconds

All ok and fine. And now...

Matter: 1 orange + 1 apple = ehh, what, 2 fruits? :confused:
(or 1 electron + 1 proton = what? 2 matter particles? What's the use of counting in this way, I wonder?)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jeffrey phalen and phinds
DennisN said:
This is not an answer, I'm just using your premise to try to count things...
Hmmm...
Space (height): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Space (width): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Space (depth): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Time: 1 second + 1 second = 2 seconds

All ok and fine. And now...

Matter: 1 orange + 1 apple = ehh, what, 2 fruits? :confused:
(or 1 electron + 1 proton = what? 2 matter particles? What's the use of counting in this way, I wonder?)
I guess I'm thinking of it more atomically when
phinds said:
Have you even done any research at all on what a dimension is or are you just deciding that you can make up your own definition?

No, space is not "made" of anything. Space is just geometry. H, W, and D are just ways of measuring things IN space.
No, it would not.

and in what way does that make matter a dimension?

Jeffrey, in physics you can't(*) just make up your own definitions of things, you need to get straight on what standard terminology means.

* Well, you CAN, but it will not end well :smile:
I cannot argue with that, I guess I'm just realizing my class fully focuses on what and not why.
 
Jeffrey phalen said:
I cannot argue with that, I guess I'm just realizing my class fully focuses on what and not why.

Don't worry. Learning the what leads to the why. In other words, as you learn more about physics, the why questions will begin to be answered as you are able to put more and more laws together to see how the universe behaves. If I were never to have seen an american football game before, and one day my friend takes me to a game, I could ask why the score goes up by six sometimes but two at other times. To answer my question, my friend would have to explain how the game works. Once I learn how it works, the why questions are also answered.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jeffrey phalen and phinds
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jeffrey phalen