Why are the eigenvectors of this hermitian matrix not orthogonal?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
rghurst
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
I am unable to show that the eigenvectors are orthogonal.
Why are the eigenvectors of this hermitian matrix not checking out as orthogonal? The eigenvalues are certainly distinct. ChatGPT also is miscalculating repeatedly. I have checked my work many times and cannot find the error. Kindly assist.
 
Attachments
  • Hermitian.png
    Hermitian.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 116
Physics news on Phys.org
rghurst said:
TL;DR Summary: I am unable to show that the eigenvectors are orthogonal.

Why are the eigenvectors of this hermitian matrix not checking out as orthogonal? The eigenvalues are certainly distinct. ChatGPT also is miscalculating repeatedly. I have checked my work many times and cannot find the error. Kindly assist.
Don't rely on ChatGPT and please repost your calculation attempt in LaTeX so it's readable and quotable.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman