1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can a Hermitian matrix have complex eigenvalues?

1. Nov 11, 2017 #1

SeM

Hi, I have a matrix which gives the same determinant wether it is transposed or not, however, its eigenvalues have complex roots, and there are complex numbers in the matrix elements. Can this matrix be classified as non-Hermitian?

If so, is there any other name to classify it, as it is not unitary, norm or skew-hermitian?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

All square matrices have this property, because the determinant is a symmetric polynomial in the matrix entries..
    Yes.
    A complex matrix. Without any further properties known, preferably symmetry properties, it is impossible to give a more detailed answer than this, because you basically asked: How would you name a complex matrix, which is neither ...?

4. Nov 11, 2017 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that the only way you can get a Complex determinant is if you have Complex entries; manipulation of Reals leading to determinant will necessarily produce Real values, i.e., matrix with Real entries will necessarily have Real determinant, tho not necessarily Real eigenvalues nor Real n-ples of eigenvectors...

5. Nov 11, 2017 #4

SeM

Thanks! Very clear and concise answer.

6. Nov 13, 2017 #5

SeM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted