1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are these graphs so different? y^2=x y=sqrt(x)

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    Why are the graphs of y2=x and y=√x so different? They're supposed to be the same, aren't they? I'm usually good at maths but I honestly don't understand this. Can someone explain please? Thanks :).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2013 #2
    They are not different.
    But do not forget the sign (+or-) in front of the square root.
    And you have to plot x=y², not y=x². Since your drawing tool draws the ordinate as a function of the abscissa and that you have to plot x as a function of y (not y as a function of x as usual), you have to rotate the sheet of paper (the axes) of 90°

Attached Files:

• Plot.JPG
      Plot.JPG
      File size:
      18.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  4. Sep 5, 2013 #3
    Thankyou!! They are different, but your comment helped me understand why :). The y=√x is only the positive side, but when you simplify the x=y2, expression you have to add the ± to the square root. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 5, 2013 #4
    Call me a pedant, but generally you shouldn't "rotate the graph" - you should "reflect the graph" in the line y=x. In this particular case it happens to produce the same result. :cool:

6. Sep 5, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The two graphs ARE different. The graph of y =√x is the upper half of the graph of y2 = x

7. Sep 5, 2013 #6
    Hi !
    The figure in my preceeding post was there in order to explain what I mean, better than with words.
    Noahsdev said that he understood it.
    All's well that ends well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook