Why black holes do not have color charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of black holes having a chromodynamic surface charge. While it is possible for a black hole to have an electromagnetic charge, the "no hair" theorem states that only mass, surface charge, and angular momentum are externally observable characteristics of a black hole. Additionally, the strong force is short range compared to gravity, making it difficult to measure any potential chromodynamic charge. However, some research suggests that black holes may have "hair" in anti-de Sitter space, which could include quantum fields and potentially infinite hair. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the presence of a chromodynamic charge in black holes cannot be ruled out, but it may not be detectable.
MTd2
Gold Member
I'm clueless.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
isn't it better to argue why it should have it, and then see if that proof holds?

Sure, it is. If a black hole eats mass and electrical charge, why not color charge?. But, beyond that, what should I say? I've searched google, but I didn't find anything.

Someone told me this on Tommaso Dorigo's Blog:

The classical answer is that Black holes are purely gravitational phenomena. The strong force plays no role. That's not to say that the surface of a black hole cannot be charged.

Look in any standard textbook on the subject and you will find a theorem in black hole physics called the "no hair" theorem. This theorem basically says that black holes have only three externally observable characteristics, mass M , surface charge Q, and angular momentum L.

So if a Black hole can have an electromagnetic surface charge why not a chromodynamic surface charge? This is so because, as far as anyone knows, individual quarks do not exist. They exist in combinations that will have no chromodynamic color. Either a quark and antiquark, or a triad of quarks. These particles will fall into the black holes in these colorless forms, so the black hole can't gain any net chromodynamic charge.

It should also be noted that any real black hole the hole itself is likely to be neutral (Q=0) as it is constanly pulling in new particles of all kinds of EM charges.

http://www.scientificblogging.com/comments/14149/Re_Large_Hadron_Collider_Back_Together

Last edited by a moderator:
If a BH pulls out of the vacuum a quark-antiquark pair (Hawking radiation) both the emitted quark and the BH will hadronize. Just like electron-positron collision. It should happen in the very final stage of BH evaporation.

What if there is not enough energy from the pair's center of mass to make hadronization happen? In that case, It would be expected that the BH would have a tiny color charge in relation to that other quark.

MTd2 said:
What if there is not enough energy from the pair's center of mass to make hadronization happen?

As the distance between two quarks increases the potential energy in the bond between them grows without bound until hadronization occurs.

Seen the plentiful research on Yang-Mills black hole "hair" in anti-de Sitter space (for boundary conditions)? It seems "black holes do not have color charge" only in the sense that classical relativists normally neglect everything other than gravitational and electromagnetic fields; in fact the black hole can have infinite hair by adding that many quantum fields.

ExactlySolved said:
As the distance between two quarks increases the potential energy in the bond between them grows without bound until hadronization occurs.

In the reference frame I considered, that is, the quark's center of mass, the system feels no gravity because it is in free fall, and the kinetic energy of the quarks in relation to the center is smaller than it needs to happen hadronization.

cesiumfrog said:
Seen the plentiful research on Yang-Mills black hole "hair" in anti-de Sitter space (for boundary conditions)? It seems "black holes do not have color charge" only in the sense that classical relativists normally neglect everything other than gravitational and electromagnetic fields; in fact the black hole can have infinite hair by adding that many quantum fields.

I wasn't aware of that. Can you give me some nice references?

MTd2 said:
In the reference frame I considered, that is, the quark's center of mass, the system feels no gravity because it is in free fall, and the kinetic energy of the quarks in relation to the center is smaller than it needs to happen hadronization.

I wasn't aware of that. Can you give me some nice references?

See for example: http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.2356

MTd2 said:
Look in any standard textbook on the subject and you will find a theorem in black hole physics called the "no hair" theorem. This theorem basically says that black holes have only three externally observable characteristics, mass M , surface charge Q, and angular momentum L.

The strong force is short range compared to gravity. If it did have a color charge, you wouldn't be able to detect it, because you'd have to go within the event horizon to get anything measurable. So if you can't detect it either way, in my view, you can't proclaim that it's not there.

I did not say that! That quote is not mine!

MTd2 said:
I did not say that! That quote is not mine!

yes you did, in post #3

malawi_glenn said:
yes you did, in post #3

No, I didn't. If you read #3, you will see that I am actualy quoting someone else from Tommaso Dorigo's blog! :wink:

1. Why do black holes not have color charge?

Black holes do not have color charge because they do not contain any particles that possess color charge. Color charge is a property of subatomic particles, such as quarks, that is responsible for the strong nuclear force. Since black holes are made up of highly compressed matter and not individual particles, they do not have color charge.

2. Can black holes emit colored light?

No, black holes do not emit any light, including colored light. This is because they have such a strong gravitational pull that not even light can escape from them. However, they can emit other forms of radiation, such as X-rays, as matter falls into them.

3. Do black holes have a color we cannot perceive?

No, black holes do not have a color that we cannot perceive. Color is a property of light, and since black holes do not emit any light, they do not have a color. The term "black" in black hole refers to the fact that they do not reflect or emit any light, making them appear completely black to our eyes.

4. Are there any known exceptions to black holes not having color charge?

No, there are no known exceptions to the fact that black holes do not have color charge. This is a fundamental property of black holes that is supported by our current understanding of physics. However, there is ongoing research in the field of quantum gravity that may lead to new theories and insights about black holes.

5. Could black holes gain color charge under certain conditions?

No, black holes cannot gain color charge under any conditions. Color charge is a fundamental property of particles and cannot be gained or lost by objects like black holes. Additionally, the intense gravitational forces within a black hole would destroy any particles that did possess color charge, making it impossible for a black hole to acquire it.