1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can positron go unobstructed through lead?

1. Aug 14, 2013 #1
    Can anyone explain why a positron, in a charged magnetic field, is able to go through a 6mm lead plate, as seen in Anderson's positron experiment?

Initially I thought that it could be quite similar to the gold foil experiments, but one of the features of the gold foil experiments is that it is using a VERY thin sheet of gold.

From what I understand lead, especially lead that thick, has the ability to not easily allow particles through.

Am I taking the wrong approach?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PositronDiscovery.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In trying to understand the results of his experiments, Anderson consulted several other prominent physicists, including Robert Oppenheimer. Anderson's discussions with Oppenheimer proved fruitless; however, other physicists were studying cosmic rays like Anderson at this time. Two of them, P.M.S. Blackett and G.P.S. Occhialini, proposed the pair-production mechanism, where high-energy photons, like the gamma rays found in cosmic radiation, will strike a nucleus and produce an electron-positron pair. These particles will annihilate one another after a brief period, turning back into two gamma rays.

It's not that positrons penetrate lead, but positrons are produced within the plate when high-energy gamma rays strike one of the lead nuclei.

For details on the pair-production mechanism, see this article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_production

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted