1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't moment of Inertia be never greater than MR2

1. Jun 23, 2013 #1
    Why can't moment of Inertia be never greater than MR2 for uniform bodies with simple geometrical shapes?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not clear what "R" stands for here. For example, a cube is a simple geometrical shape. What would R be for a cube?

4. Jun 23, 2013 #3
    Apologies. My question was for a condition of friction in Accelerated Pure Rolling of objects like hollow cylinder, solid cylinder, solid sphere, hollow sphere, disc or a ring. So 'R' corresponds to the radius of these objects and 'M' is their mass.

5. Jun 23, 2013 #4
    The moment of inertia is defined to be ## \int_0^R \rho(r) r^2 dV ##. According to the mean value theorem, that is equal to ## \bar{R}^2 \int_0^R \rho(r) dV = \bar{R}^2 M \le R^2 M ##, where ## 0 \le \bar{R} \le R ##.

Physically, you could think of transporting every bit of mass of an object to its boundary - what would happen with its moment of inertia?

6. Jun 25, 2013 #5

lalo_u

Gold Member

I think it grows up, but i don´t understand what´s the concerning

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  7. Jun 25, 2013 #6

lalo_u

Gold Member

I think it grows up, but i don´t understand what´s the concerning

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted