1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't rho^o decay into two pi^o?

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    As title, why does the following decay is forbidden?
    [tex]\rho0\rightarrow\pi0\pi0[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Isospin. Take a look at the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient table.

4. Dec 9, 2008 #3
    Thank you. You are correct. I look at the CG 1x1 table.
    |10> = (1/2)|11>|1-1>-(1/2)|-11>|11>. The coefficient of |10>|10> is zero!

But why is that physically? The isospin is still conserved for |10>|10> case.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  5. Dec 10, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What kind of answer are you looking for? Why are there Clebsch-Gordon coefficients at all? Why does isospin use the same Clebsch-Gordon coefficients as angular momentum? Why is there isospin at all? I don't know how to answer you.

6. Dec 10, 2008 #5

clem

Science Advisor

You can also use Bose statistics and conservation of angular momentum.
    The rho has spin one. There is no pi0-pi0 state with J=1.

7. Dec 10, 2008 #6
    Hello,
    I don't understand why pi0-pi0 can't have J=1.
    I thought (probably wrong) that they could have some relative angular momentum L for example L=1 so that then pi0-pi0 would have J=1.

Maybe it's trivial but could someone please explain me why that isn't possible :)

Thank you!

8. Dec 10, 2008 #7
    Isn't isospin conservation just a manifestation of nucleon SU(2) invariance of the Hamiltonian?

9. Dec 10, 2008 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you put it in a J=1 state the total wavefunction is antisymmetric, and it has to be symmetric because of Bose statistics.

JDStokes, yes, isospin is SU(2). Which is why you use the Clebsch-Gordon coefficients as opposed to something else.

10. Dec 11, 2008 #9

clem

Science Advisor

It is important to note that Ispin symmetry is broken, while Bose statistics and conservation of angular momentum are not.

11. Dec 11, 2008 #10
    It can't decay into pi0 pi0 because of conservation of angular momentum.

It can decay into pi0 pi0 gamma. In a world with unbroken isospin symmetry, that decay would also be prohibited (because rho0 is symmetric under u-d interchange, and pi0's are antisymmetric). In our world, it's merely suppressed. Relative probability of this decay is 4.5 * 10^-5 %.

12. Dec 11, 2008 #11

clem

Science Advisor

1. You also need Bose statistics for the pi0s.
    2. Once there is a gamma, Ispin is irrelevant.
    2. The rho is u-ubar. It has C=-, but no symmetry property.

13. Dec 11, 2008 #12
    1. Gamma is isospin invariant. u and d quarks couple to the gamma with different strength, because isospin is not a perfect symmetry.

2. Rho is [tex](u\bar{u} - d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2}[/tex].

14. Dec 11, 2008 #13
    If there is a difference between [itex](u\bar{u} - d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex], it must break isospin ! This is why (I think) you miss clem's point.

15. Dec 12, 2008 #14
    :confused:

We're located in different points on the surface of the Earth, but that does not mean that rotational symmetry of the Earth is broken. [itex](u\bar{u} - d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex] are degenerate and there is a symmetry transformation that takes one into the other, but that does not mean that they are the same state.

16. Dec 13, 2008 #15

clem

Science Advisor

I know the rho is not simply u-ubar. I just gave a simple example to show that symmetry didn't enter.

17. Dec 13, 2008 #16
    Sure, I think we agree. The states would be impossible to distinguish IF isospin were exact. Of course, the proton and the neutron have different interactions with the photon :smile:

18. Dec 13, 2008 #17

clem

Science Advisor

I am confused by the last few posts. u-ubar is not an Ispin eigenstate.
    The combination [tex](u\bar{u} - d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2}[/tex] is.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?