Why can't rho^o decay into two pi^o?

• Thread starter brainschen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, the conversation discusses the decay of the \rho0 particle into \pi0\pi0, which is forbidden due to isospin conservation. The use of Clebsch-Gordon coefficients and isospin symmetry is mentioned, along with the possibility of the decay into \pi0\pi0\gamma. The concept of symmetry breaking is also brought up, with the example of the \rho particle being a combination of u\bar{u} and d\bar{d}. The conversation ends with a discussion of the degeneracy and symmetry between (u\bar{u} - d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2} and u\bar{u}.
brainschen
As title, why does the following decay is forbidden?
[tex]\rho0\rightarrow\pi0\pi0[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isospin. Take a look at the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient table.

Vanadium 50 said:
Isospin. Take a look at the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient table.

Thank you. You are correct. I look at the CG 1x1 table.
|10> = (1/2)|11>|1-1>-(1/2)|-11>|11>. The coefficient of |10>|10> is zero!

But why is that physically? The isospin is still conserved for |10>|10> case.

Last edited:
brainschen said:
But why is that physically?

What kind of answer are you looking for? Why are there Clebsch-Gordon coefficients at all? Why does isospin use the same Clebsch-Gordon coefficients as angular momentum? Why is there isospin at all? I don't know how to answer you.

You can also use Bose statistics and conservation of angular momentum.
The rho has spin one. There is no pi0-pi0 state with J=1.

Hello,
I don't understand why pi0-pi0 can't have J=1.
I thought (probably wrong) that they could have some relative angular momentum L for example L=1 so that then pi0-pi0 would have J=1.

Maybe it's trivial but could someone please explain me why that isn't possible :)

Thank you!

Vanadium 50 said:
What kind of answer are you looking for? Why are there Clebsch-Gordon coefficients at all? Why does isospin use the same Clebsch-Gordon coefficients as angular momentum? Why is there isospin at all? I don't know how to answer you.

Isn't isospin conservation just a manifestation of nucleon SU(2) invariance of the Hamiltonian?

If you put it in a J=1 state the total wavefunction is antisymmetric, and it has to be symmetric because of Bose statistics.

JDStokes, yes, isospin is SU(2). Which is why you use the Clebsch-Gordon coefficients as opposed to something else.

It is important to note that Ispin symmetry is broken, while Bose statistics and conservation of angular momentum are not.

It can't decay into pi0 pi0 because of conservation of angular momentum.

It can decay into pi0 pi0 gamma. In a world with unbroken isospin symmetry, that decay would also be prohibited (because rho0 is symmetric under u-d interchange, and pi0's are antisymmetric). In our world, it's merely suppressed. Relative probability of this decay is 4.5 * 10^-5 %.

hamster143 said:
It can't decay into pi0 pi0 because of conservation of angular momentum.

It can decay into pi0 pi0 gamma. In a world with unbroken isospin symmetry, that decay would also be prohibited (because rho0 is symmetric under u-d interchange, and pi0's are antisymmetric). In our world, it's merely suppressed. Relative probability of this decay is 4.5 * 10^-5 %.
1. You also need Bose statistics for the pi0s.
2. Once there is a gamma, Ispin is irrelevant.
2. The rho is u-ubar. It has C=-, but no symmetry property.

1. Gamma is isospin invariant. u and d quarks couple to the gamma with different strength, because isospin is not a perfect symmetry.

2. Rho is [tex](u\bar{u} - d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2}[/tex].

hamster143 said:
Rho is [tex](u\bar{u} - d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2}[/tex].
If there is a difference between [itex](u\bar{u} - d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex], it must break isospin ! This is why (I think) you miss clem's point.

:confused:

We're located in different points on the surface of the Earth, but that does not mean that rotational symmetry of the Earth is broken. [itex](u\bar{u} - d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex] are degenerate and there is a symmetry transformation that takes one into the other, but that does not mean that they are the same state.

I know the rho is not simply u-ubar. I just gave a simple example to show that symmetry didn't enter.

hamster143 said:
[itex](u\bar{u} - d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex] are degenerate and there is a symmetry transformation that takes one into the other, but that does not mean that they are the same state.
Sure, I think we agree. The states would be impossible to distinguish IF isospin were exact. Of course, the proton and the neutron have different interactions with the photon :smile:

I am confused by the last few posts. u-ubar is not an Ispin eigenstate.
The combination [tex](u\bar{u} - d\bar{d})/\sqrt{2}[/tex] is.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is rho^o and pi^o?

Rho^o and pi^o are both subatomic particles, also known as mesons, that are made up of quarks. Rho^o is a neutral meson made up of an up quark and a down antiquark, while pi^o is a neutral meson made up of an up quark and an anti-up quark.

2. Why can't rho^o decay into two pi^o?

Rho^o cannot decay into two pi^o because of conservation of quantum numbers. Rho^o has a quantum number called isospin, which is conserved in all particle interactions. Pi^o does not have this quantum number, so it is not possible for rho^o to decay into two pi^o particles.

3. Can rho^o decay into other particles?

Yes, rho^o can decay into other particles such as a pi^+ and a pi^- or a K^+ and a K^-. These decay modes are allowed because they conserve quantum numbers like charge and strangeness.

4. What is the significance of rho^o decaying into pi^+ and pi^-?

This decay mode is important in understanding the strong nuclear force, which binds quarks together to form particles. The decay of rho^o into pi^+ and pi^- is a manifestation of this force and helps to confirm the theories of quantum chromodynamics.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that rho^o cannot decay into two pi^o?

There have been some rare cases where rho^o has been observed to decay into two pi^o particles. However, these decays are highly suppressed and occur through a different mechanism called the OZI rule. This rule allows for particles to decay into lighter particles that have a different quark composition, but it is a much less common process.