Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't we detect off-shell particles?

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    when we draw Feynman diagrams we write external lines with onshell momentum only,,
    but those "external" lines are internal lines to an extended process(?).
    what defines the energy-momentum relation of the external states? the field equation and a(p)|p>,, so the offshell parts are due only to contraction and propagators?

thanks a lot :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2
    I think of "off-shell" as being kind of synonymous with "non-physical", as in a photon with non-zero mass. You probably know this, but such non-physical states are necessary in order to conserve energy-momentum, but they are also allowed by the energy/time version of the Heisenberg Uncertainty relation. Therefore, we can have massive photons when we need them, but only if they survive for a time short enough to satisfy the uncertainty relation, i.e. they are virtual, not observable.

Not sure if that helps with your question, though ...

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Energy-momentum is conseverd in Feynman diagrams via Feynman rules i.e. delta-functions in (E,p) at the vertices.

But the question regarding external lines as internal lines in an extended process is interesting.

Suppose we do a calculation for a scattering experiment and determine the 'cross section for an external line' i.e. an asymtotic plane wave state which is on-shell. As soon as we detect this particle, e.g. via absorption, it is no longer represented via an external line.

I think the best one can do is to abandon the idea to construct an ontology based on Feynman diagrams.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook