Scattering of a scalar particle and a Fermion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
foxdiligens
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Feynman diagrams at tree level contributing to the scattering of a fermion and a scalar particle.
Hello everyone,

I am working on the following problem: I would like to determine the invariant Matrix element of the process ##\psi\left(p,s\right)+\phi\left(k\right)\rightarrow\psi\left(p',s'\right)+\phi\left(k'\right)## within Yukawa theory, where ##\psi\left(p,s\right)## denotes a fermion with momentum p and spin s and ##\phi\left(k\right)## denotes a real scalar particle with momentum k. The Lagrangian is given by:

##\mathcal{L}=\overline{\psi}\left(i\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu-M\right)\psi+\frac{1}{2}\left(\partial_\mu\phi\right)\left(\partial^\mu\phi\right)-\frac{m}{2}\phi^2-g\overline{\psi}\psi\phi##

Which Feynman diagrams contribute on tree level and how are they translated into the invariant matrix element? Following my considerations, this is the s-channel only, which is represented by this diagram:

Boson-Fermion scattering.png


I would write the matrix element as follows:
##i\mathcal{T}=\int\frac{dq^4}{\left(2\pi\right)^4}\overline{u}_{s'}\left(p'\right)\left(-ig\right)\left(2\pi\right)^4\delta^{(4)}\left(q-p'-k'\right)\frac{i\left(\gamma^\mu q_\mu+M\right)}{q^2-M^2}\left(-ig\left(2\pi\right)^4\delta^{\left(4\right)}\left(p+k-q\right)\right)u_s\left(p\right)##
which yields this invariant matrix element:
##\mathcal{M}=-\frac{g^2}{s+M^2}\overline{u}_{s'}\left(p'\right)\left(\gamma^\mu q_\mu+M\right)u_s\left(p\right).##

I utilized the following Feyman rules:
  • Fermionic propagator: ##\frac{i\left(\gamma^\mu q_\mu+M\right)}{q^2+M^2}##
  • Vertex: ##-ig##
  • Incoming/outgoing external fermion: ##u_s\left(p\right)/\overline{u}_{s}\left(p\right)##
  • External boson, incoming or outgoing: ##1##
Are my considerations correct? According to the exercise I should get two diagrams. However, I could only imagine one further situation with the scalar particle's momentum inverted, meaning this diagram:

Boson-fermion scattering 2.png


I hope you can bring some clarity to my question. Thank you very much in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can couple the outgoing scalar particle to the fermion "before" your incoming scalar particle.
That's the only way I see to make a different diagram.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71
Note that, for the purpose of drawing those two diagrams, it may be clearer to interchange the outgoing fermion and scalar. It should then be clear that one of the diagrams is the s-channel diagram and the other a t-channel diagram.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and mfb