Why dark matter is dark but not atoms

In summary, dark matter is called 'dark' because it does not interact electromagnetically and is difficult to detect. It is considered a non-baronic weakly interactive particle and its only known force interaction is gravity. Dark energy, on the other hand, is the energy that is accelerating expansion. Both dark matter and dark energy are still poorly understood and there is a lot of speculation and misinformation surrounding them.
Is dark matter dark because we hav never measured it directly on Earth with the atom?

John

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dark is 'dark' because it is formed from dark energy a hypothetical type of energy I believe.

Sorry I meant "dark matter is dark"

No dark matter and dark energy have nothing to do with each other. The term dark merely infers that little is known about the two. Dark matter is considered a non baronic weakly interactive particle. The only known force interaction is gravity. Hence why its so difficult to detect
Dark energy is the energy that is accelerating expansion.
Dark matter and Dark energy is covered in numerous posts. I would suggest looking through the threads.

Mordred said:
The term dark merely infers that little is known about the two.

Well, not quite. The 'Dark' in 'Dark Energy' is precisely this -- it just means we don't know what the heck it is. The 'Dark' in 'Dark Matter' however tells us that whatever it is, it doesn't interact electromagnetically (hence dark).

There's a lot of speculation and misinformation going on here, and I can't help but think that a simple trip to wikipedia would clear a lot of it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

Good point It was late when I typed that and I was half asleep. Talk about addiction lol

1. Why is dark matter called "dark"?

Dark matter is called "dark" because it does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. This means that it cannot be detected by telescopes or other instruments that rely on light to observe objects in space.

2. What makes dark matter different from regular matter?

Dark matter is different from regular matter because it does not emit or absorb light, and it does not interact with other forms of electromagnetic radiation. This means that it does not reflect, absorb, or emit any type of electromagnetic radiation, which makes it invisible to traditional forms of observation.

3. Why are atoms visible but dark matter is not?

Atoms are visible because they interact with light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. When light hits an atom, it causes the electrons in the atom to move, which results in the emission of light. Dark matter, on the other hand, does not interact with light, which makes it invisible to traditional forms of observation.

4. Is dark matter made of the same particles as regular matter?

No, dark matter is made of different particles than regular matter. Regular matter is made of atoms, which are composed of protons, neutrons, and electrons. Dark matter is thought to be made of particles that do not interact with light, such as weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs) or axions.

5. Why is dark matter important to the study of the universe?

Dark matter is important to the study of the universe because it makes up about 85% of the total mass in the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies, as it provides the gravitational force needed to hold galaxies together. Understanding dark matter is essential to understanding the structure and evolution of the universe.