Why define equivalence relations, posets etc.

In summary: Well, that's a bit more complicated. Two different representations of an object might be the same if they are both faithful representations of the object- that is, if they agree on all the details of the object. But two representations might not be the same if they disagree on some details of the object. For example, suppose you have two drawings of a house: one is a pencil sketch, and the other is a computer-generated image. Both representations of the house are accurate representations of the house, but the pencil sketch is more detailed than the computer-generated image. The computer-generated image might be considered a more faithful representation of the house than the pencil sketch.
Avichal
I am studying set theory and I came across various definitions like equivalence relations, partial order relations, antisymmetric and many more. I am aware mathematicians don't care about real life applications but still - why are we defining so many relations? What is the use of defining equivalence relations, posets, maximal element etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
All of these are part of the study of general order relations on sets; there are other terms, like maximal elements, supremum, etc., that are used to prove certain results,like the Hahn-Banach theorem,etc. . I don't know if this

is the type of answer you were looking for?

And, BTW, there are applied mathematicians out there interested in applications .

All of mathematics consists in saying that "these things" are the same- in some sense. An equivalence relation. And then we treat all of the thing that are the "same" in that sense as "the same thing"- i.e., an equivalence class. As for "relations" in general, in a very real sense, relations are all there are in mathematics!

The concept of relations and sets is really useful but I don't really understand the use of equivalence relation and other defined things.
Maybe an application of equivalent relation might help

Avichal said:
The concept of relations and sets is really useful but I don't really understand the use of equivalence relation and other defined things.

Just consider that the symbol "=" and the words such as "equal", "equivalent', "the same" are commonly misused by people who attempt to talk about mathematics without having studied equivalence relations. For example, to say two numbers are "equal" doesn't mean the same thing as saying two sets are "equal". If you say "3 + 8" is "the same" as "11", that's true if you're talking about numbers, but not if you're talking about strings of characters. You can say {3,5,2} is equal to {2,5,3} as a set, but not as a permutation.

If you do computer programming perhaps you have encountered "overloading" of functions or operators. In mathematics the "=" relation is 'overloaded". It is used on many different types of things and has different meanings for each type. However, it has certain universal properties. Hence you should understand what those properties are. (In programming, you need to understand an "abstract class" before you can understand a particular implementation of it.)

There are amusing examples of equivalence relations whose definition is so complicated that the symbol "=" and the word "equal" are not used. For example, the relation of groups being isomorphic is an equivalence relation but we use the word "isomorphic" instead of "equal".

There are examples of two important equivalence relations being defined on the same pairs of objects, which creates the need to use different symbols for the relations. For example the congruence of two numbers mod 7 is an equivalence relation, but it not the same as the ordinary equality relation between numbers. So we must use special notation for congruence mod 7.

An application of equivalence relation is to general quotients:

quotient groups, vector spaces, quotient topological spaces.

Here we declare elements in the quotient structure A/B to be equivalent

if they satisfy a specific (equivalence) relation . Like Halls said, to the

effect of what we are doing , we only care about certain specific aspects

of the elements, and nothing else.

Also, when we talk about, say, the set "multiples of n" and its

properties, we are talking of the set {3n: n is natural}. All of these

elements ...,3,6,... are equivalent under a~b iff. 3|(a-b).

Avichal said:

You have the concept of a rational number. But 'what' are they? Or a better question: how can I represent them in terms of things I already know?

Well, that's easy. We learned in elementary school a number of ways to write rational numbers. A common way is that they are a pair of numbers: a numerator and a denominator, which are both integers!

Oh, but wait: 2/4 and 3/6 are the same rational number. So just representing a pair of numbers is not good enough: we must have an additional notion of when two different pairs of numbers really represent the same rational number. That is, when they are are equivalent: i.e. we need an equivalence relation.

In this case, the relevant equivalence relation is that a/b ~ c/d if and only if ad = bc.

It is very common that one is interested in some sort of object, and one knows how to represent that object as a different sort of object, but two different representations are really the same object. So one needs to also find an equivalence relation on the representations, in order to use this representation to help understand the thing you're really interested in!

The converse happens too: we understand two different sorts of objects, and we discover that we can use one sort of object to represent the other sort. Sometimes, the relationship between the sorts objects is best understood by figuring out the equivalence relation the representation defines.

This last paragraph may be a little muddled, so let me give an example. It's going to the the same example as before, but from a different angle.

We understand rational numbers. And we also understand pairs of integers with the second number nonzero. And we know there is a relationship between them: the pair (x,y) yields the rational number x/y.

But how do we do computations with rational numbers? Most of the time, it involves representing x/y by a corresponding pair (x,y), and doing computation with the pairs. So for the sake of computation, it is very helpful to know that the pairs (x,y) and (s,t) correspond to the same rational number if and only if xt = ys.

1. Why is it important to define equivalence relations?

Defining equivalence relations helps us to better understand the relationship between different objects or elements. It allows us to categorize and compare different elements based on their properties and characteristics.

2. What is the purpose of defining posets (partially ordered sets)?

Posets help us to understand the concept of order and hierarchy within a set. By defining posets, we can determine the relationship between different elements and identify the minimum and maximum elements within a set.

3. How do equivalence relations and posets relate to each other?

Equivalence relations and posets are closely related as they both involve defining relationships between elements in a set. While equivalence relations focus on categorizing elements into equivalent classes, posets focus on establishing a partial ordering among elements.

4. Can you provide an example of an equivalence relation?

One example of an equivalence relation is the relation of "equality" between two numbers. If we define the set of integers and the relation of equality between them, then any two integers that are equal (e.g. 3 and 3) will be in the same equivalent class, while any two integers that are not equal (e.g. 2 and 3) will be in different equivalent classes.

5. How are equivalence relations and posets used in mathematics and other fields?

Equivalence relations and posets are used in various fields, including mathematics, computer science, and linguistics. In mathematics, these concepts are used to study abstract structures and to define important mathematical properties. In computer science, they are used to design algorithms and data structures. In linguistics, they are used to study relationships between different words and phrases.