Why Did Police Raid a 9-Year-Old's Winnie the Pooh Laptop?

  • Thread starter Thread starter m k
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laptop
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
m k
Gold Member
Messages
17
Reaction score
7
"Winnie the Pooh" laptop raid

http://www.techspot.com/news/50888-...old-pirate-winnie-the-pooh-laptop-seized.html

What's behind it?
Are those authorities fully sane?

No search warrants in Finland, a superintendent or higher officer can order a raid.
Order is legal if said crime can lead to six months jail time minimum.
(practically no sanctions for illegal raids)
Any piracy jail time is for profit _and_ significant harm cases.
Is 600€ significant enough?

Some say the said file was a bait by CIAPC/TTVK and not a music file at all.
If so then the law says that deceiving for profit is a fraud.
Is it?
And profit what if the file is fake?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Of course not.

And if you happen to be dishonest is there any sanctions?
 


I find it sort of amazing that the police are spending that kind of money and time going after someone who downloaded a song that is apparently available for free elsewhere (on Spotify, according to the link).
 


ParticleGrl said:
I find it sort of amazing that the police are spending that kind of money and time going after someone who downloaded a song that is apparently available for free elsewhere (on Spotify, according to the link).
It's not free for downloading, only for listening, like a radio. It says the kid attempted to download a lot of songs. If you give a kid a computer, either place nanny software on it or educate them on proper use.
 


It's not free for downloading, only for listening, like a radio.

At least in the US, its legal to record things off the radio (and it was fairly common when I was growing up), so I wonder if she had recorded the spotify stream if that would have been ok.

Also, sure you should monitor your kids computer usage, I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. I'm just amazed at the amount of money being spent to go after this- seems like a tremendous waste of police resources.