Why do acidic drugs remain unionized in acidic environement?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tarekatpf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drugs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 12K views
tarekatpf
Messages
140
Reaction score
1
Why do acidic drugs remain unionized in acidic environement, and become ionized in basic environment?

Similarly, why do basic drugs become ionized in acidic environment and remain unionized in basic environment?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is a pretty basic question about behavior of acids and bases. Short answer: because that's exactly the way they behave. Long answer: please learn about acid/base equilibrium, this is part of GenChem101.

Actually this is a chemistry question, not medical sciences. I am moving the thread.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
When I read the subject, I thought you were asking about why acidic drugs were involved in collective bargaining :smile:
 
phinds said:
When I read the subject, I thought you were asking about why acidic drugs were involved in collective bargaining :smile:

That's how you know if someone is a Chemist or not. You ask them to pronounce unionized.

Un-ionized = Chemist
Union-ized = Not a Chemist

:smile:
 
Borek said:
This is a pretty basic question about behavior of acids and bases. Short answer: because that's exactly the way they behave. Long answer: please learn about acid/base equilibrium, this is part of GenChem101.

Actually this is a chemistry question, not medical sciences. I am moving the thread.

Thank you very much for your suggestion and correcting the category. And sorry about my late reply as I have been sick lately.