Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

"Sodium alginate solution" vs. "Alginic acid"

1. Jun 17, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone.
    I'm doing research with sodium alginate (NaC6H7O6) and I really need your help.

Sodium alginate is a cell wall component of seaweed or brown algae.
    During the research, I read some pages telling that we can get alginic acid by dissolve sodium alginate in water.

But what I think is that, if the NaC6H7O6 is dissolve in water, it will ionized and loss Na+.
    Then the solution will be a base, not an acid....
    And I test the pH with sodium alginate solution and I got a pH 7
    (Actually, I didn't dissolve much powder)

Is it right that the solution of sodium alginate is a really acid???

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How did you test for pH?

NaC6H7O6 is an experimental formula, not the real one (not that it matters much, just for clarification), as the alginic acid is a natural polymer.

Solution of alginate should have pH a bit on the basic side, typical for solutions of salts of weak acids. No idea what water you have used for dissolving and what is the concentration, so it is a bit difficult to comment on, but in general DI water is typically a bit acidic due to the dissolved CO2, if the pH of the solution is 7 chances are it is already more alkaline than it was before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted