Why do beats sound like pulsations in a 444Hz tone, not 8Hz?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fattydq
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pitch
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
fattydq
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Pure tones with frequencies 440Hz and 448Hz are sounded together. What is heard? (Describe pitch of the fused tone and frequency of beats.) I'm very confused with the way my book explains this, it says that we will hear audible beats at the difference frequency, which in this case would be 8 Hz. But THEN it says "These beats are heard as pulsation in the loudness of the tone having the average frequency" which would make the answer 444Hz. I don't understand, is the answer to the frequency of beats part 8 or 444? Also I don't know how to find pitch of fused tones? Don't you just hear the lower pitch?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may add
[tex] sin(w_1t)+sin(w_2t) [/tex]
and see the result.