Why do birthmarks appear and fade? Are they different from port wine stains?

  • Thread starter Thread starter frankness
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
frankness
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I have read that birthmarks are caused by abnormalities in the development of the blood vessels, but my question refers specifically to Haemangioma. They appear a few days after birth, the skin becomes quite raised and red, only to fade after a few years.
I was wondering why they take a few days to appear and then fade? Why are they different from port wine stains which are flat and present from birth?
Is there any reason why these marks are often on the face rather than other parts of the body?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Thanks.
I had googled it but could only find the "what" and I was really wondering "why?". Guess it's not been cracked yet, but it's not exactly the most important medical mystery.