Pityriasis Rosea: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment

• Medical
  • Thread starter S_Happens
  • Start date
In summary, this person is suffering from a skin rash that is mostly itchy and has recently increased in number and location.
S_Happens
Gold Member
http://www.aad.org/skin-conditions/dermatology-a-to-z/pityriasis-rosea"

The Wikipedia info matches the medical info I've seen so far, but it's laid out a little better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pityriasis_rosea"

I've already been to a doctor and am not seeking medical advice. So, it seems that I'm suffering from this skin rash. Initially it was more disturbing to look at than anything, and I only noticed it in the mirror after a shower. The initial herald patch that was there for two weeks before all the other spots showed up stayed about 2 cm, so I just kept wondering why that little red spot was hanging around.

Then after two weeks it basically exploded, with new spots popping up every day. They've never itched very much, except when I work out or when I'm washing in the shower, not from the hot water, but when I am directly rubbing the spots. I'm used to other type rashes such as poison ivy where the itch is constant and insatiable, even when you're not touching it, but this different. It almost never itches unless you directly rub/scratch it.

So now I'm about 3.5 weeks in. The appearance, both color and texture, of the rash peaked right after 2 weeks when all the secondary spots first showed up. Sometimes the spots are barely visible, and other times quite apparent. Mine isn't as bad as many of the pictures I've found, although the last day or two it seems that although I thought everything was fading out, there may be many new very small spots showing up. I guess we'll see.

It's interesting, in the sense that almost nothing is known about it except for the symptoms. I had never heard of it before this.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread really is. It seems rare enough that I don't expect anyone else to be familiar and my symptoms/appearance are exactly like what has already been documented. I did not have any respiratory issues, fever, or any preceding sickness.

Edit- I'll make it interesting and post up some pics, but it won't be until 4/5 evening at the earliest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Caused by some unknown virus, no doubt. Get some sunlight if you can, the UV seems to kill the buggers.

Certainly speculative, and Wiki is the only place that seems to recommend UV treatment.

It does itch more than before, but it's still mostly just if they are rubbed directly or irritated by the heat of exercise or shower.

Here are a few pictures, although they DO NOT do it justice. There are hundreds of very tiny spots that are difficult/impossible to see in the pictures. It has changed dramatically within the past two days. The first three pics are from Monday, and the last pic is from Tuesday. The "herald" patch has faded almost completely, but you can still see it at the base of my sternum.

It's pretty much isolated to the front and sides of the torso. I have lots of spots on my back, but they are sometimes visible and sometimes not. The ones on the sides and front don't disappear completely, but they do fade somewhat at different times. Now I'm starting to get a few spots on the insides of my biceps and thighs. Fun, fun.

Since Saturday or Sunday, it's been hinting at how bad it was going to show up. I could never definitely tell if the hundreds of extra very small spots would actually show up with much contrast. Sometimes I could see them very faintly, other times not at all. Well Tues 4/5 when I came home from school and got ready for a shower they were very obvious. I'm headed back to the doctor today, mostly just to show them the vast increase in number and location of the spots after it was appearing to be fading away.

[URL]http://72.167.14.32/~Tom/Pity01.jpg[/URL]
[URL]http://72.167.14.32/~Tom/Pity02.jpg[/URL]
[URL]http://72.167.14.32/~Tom/Pity03.jpg[/URL]

And here is the one from last night. If you can't see the dramatic increase, then trust me. The number of spots increased 100 fold, although most are very small.

[URL]http://72.167.14.32/~Tom/Pity04.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry you have this! I hate itchy rashes, more so, ones that just have to run their course. My brother had this when he was in collage, it never reoccurred, and no one else in his dorm got it.
Warm{not hot} showers with a mild soap, and cortisone. I would not use artificial light on any area of my body, without a doctor telling me to.
You could find a cute friend to play connect the dots, and what comes up.

I had this several years ago, it took months to completely go away. My primary doctor had never heard of it and although my dermatologist identified it, he said that there was no known cause of it. I wasn't prescribed anything because he said that there is nothing to do but wait it out.

I had this when I was a teenager. Dermatologist recommended UV. Laid in the sun until I had a good tan. The little rash spots dried up and flaked away within a week. Spent the winter with a very interesting spotty tan.

For me, sunlight (UV?) worked. YMMV.

It's pretty much all gone now. Only a handful of spots left and they're very faint or just remnants of the flaking. So, from start to finish it lasted about 4.5 weeks.

I'm glad it's gone :D

S_Happens said:
It's pretty much all gone now. Only a handful of spots left and they're very faint or just remnants of the flaking. So, from start to finish it lasted about 4.5 weeks.

I'm glad it's gone :D

Glad to hear you're better :smile:!

What is Pityriasis Rosea?

Pityriasis Rosea is a common skin condition that causes a rash to develop on the body. It is believed to be caused by a viral infection and is not contagious.

What are the symptoms of Pityriasis Rosea?

The most common symptom of Pityriasis Rosea is a rash that typically starts as a single, large, pink or red patch on the chest, abdomen, or back. This is known as the "herald patch." After a few days, smaller patches may appear on the arms, legs, or other parts of the body. These patches may be itchy or scaly, and can last for several weeks.

What causes Pityriasis Rosea?

The exact cause of Pityriasis Rosea is not fully understood, but it is believed to be caused by a viral infection. It is not contagious and cannot be passed from person to person.

How is Pityriasis Rosea diagnosed?

A doctor can diagnose Pityriasis Rosea by examining the rash and asking about any other symptoms. In some cases, a skin biopsy may be performed to rule out other conditions.

What is the treatment for Pityriasis Rosea?

Pityriasis Rosea typically goes away on its own without treatment. However, if the rash is itchy, a doctor may prescribe antihistamines or topical steroids to help relieve symptoms. It is also important to avoid harsh soaps and hot showers, which can irritate the skin. In rare cases, oral antiviral medications may be prescribed if the rash is severe or does not go away on its own.