Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do different colors of playdough smell and feel different?

1. Apr 15, 2016 #1
    Shouldn't they all be the same?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2016 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My grand kids say there is no difference in smell or feel amongst colors. If you notice a difference, it could be psychological. Sort of like finding a lone red M&M candy amongst the mostly browns. I would wait to the end to gulp it down, but in actuality, it was the same chocolate candy that melted in your mouth and not in your hand, no real difference in taste.

4. Apr 15, 2016 #3
    55 years ago when I played with it, it smelled the same. 22 y/a when my son played with it, it smelled the same. Maybe something changed?

5. Apr 16, 2016 #4
    I have a couple of cans. I can easily smell the difference with my eyes closed so I do not know which can Is which.

6. Apr 16, 2016 #5
    Maybe the manufacturer included scents deliberately as a help for blind people.

7. Apr 17, 2016 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Let's not forget we are not all equal when it comes to recognizing smells.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted