Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do females actually live longer?

1. Dec 27, 2008 #1
    I see girls/women on this forum already posting so many topics about terrible things that go on in the world and express excessive empathy to everything and everyone and feel terrible if someone/something else feels terrible you would expect them to die from a nervous breakdown when they are 25.

Any ideas why women actually live longer, on average?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They don't have wives

4. Dec 27, 2008 #3
    Maybe because the X has four lines and a Y three....

5. Dec 27, 2008 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I think you might be on to something.

6. Dec 27, 2008 #5
    Cause deep inside we are a lioness, hear us roar !!!!!!

[​IMG]

7. Dec 27, 2008 #6
    No arguments here, you hit the mark! :approve:

8. Dec 28, 2008 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

They drive less than men.

9. Dec 28, 2008 #8
    In order to make a person's life miserable on a daily basis one must outlive said person by at least one day.

10. Dec 28, 2008 #9
    In the beginning God asked man and woman if they had any requests. Man said "I would gladly give up 10 years of my life if that life was spent with a lovely woman to love."
    Woman said, "I want those extra 10 years if I gotta put up with him."

11. Dec 28, 2008 #10
    So they can always have the last word.

12. Dec 28, 2008 #11
    Damn, those are three gems right there. I think women will outlive me because I put so much of myself into making jokes for the people of PF to not only enjoy, but share with loved ones as well.

13. Dec 28, 2008 #12
    In Norway, they do.

14. Dec 28, 2008 #13

Borek

Seriously speaking, I have read about the research done somewhere in Scandinavia (was it Sweden?). They browsed old census registers (or church books, or something similar). Most of the country was inhabiteted by people living in separate households, so many other factors were automatically eliminated. What they found was that those families living with Gradmothers had - on average - more surviving kids. That hints at simple biological/evolutionary explanation.

Somehow I can't google it right now.

15. Dec 29, 2008 #14
    In my family, the males outlive the females by atleast 10 years. Both sides. So this female thing never really applied to me.

16. Dec 29, 2008 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ask a male a question, a nice, coherent and concise answer.

Ask a woman a question, and bandwidth exceeeded.

(No, no typo, I mean really, really exceeeeded).

17. Dec 29, 2008 #16
    Ladies and gentlemen, PhysicsForums presents a nice and concise answer to the topic's question! [applaud]

[back to the topic]
    But I am pretty sure that women on average outlive even single men, how is that possible?

18. Dec 30, 2008 #17
    Well....it's because we are just awesome like that!
    Simple answer.

19. Dec 30, 2008 #18

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Genetics - men have half a chromosome less and suffer higher pre-natal and infant mortality so that although slightly more males are conceived about equal numbers survive childhood.

Evolution - males compete with other males for females. So it's in his genes best interest to have a strong youth that can fight off other males. If he dies younger after the genes don't care, they have already made lots of copies.

In more recent times war and manual/dangerous jobs have taken a toll on men. This is changing in most developed countries and the survival gap is being reduced.
    Now society has an appreciable effect, suicide among teenage boys is much higher, but smoking is rising faster among teenage girls.

20. Dec 30, 2008 #19

russ_watters

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?