Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why do galaxy and galaxy clusters look so colorful?

1. Jun 24, 2017 #1
    Why do galaxy and galaxy clusters look so colorful?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And what makes you think they are? Internet photos? Most of those are color enhanced with a combination of overlays from varying frequency ranges shifted to the visible.

4. Jun 24, 2017 #3
    Yes. Are the colours in these pictures completely unreal? I thought there must be some 'atomic physics and spectroscopy theory' behind these beautiful pictures.

5. Jun 24, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

We've had several posts here on PF on exactly this issue. As I recall, there are more true color pics out there than I had expeced but I have no idea how to tell which is which. I suggest a forum search.

6. Jun 24, 2017 #5
    A lot of the photography has to be adjusted to make a meaningful image to a human.
    X ray images and radio images are not comprehensible to us without that, other than just as numerical data.

7. Jun 24, 2017 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many in that set are accurate colours ......

ad6a7af4ec2b041d0b9a74f72cd33507.jpg

06be2886d972b643faa6b54ae196d273.jpg

eea0b03ac7107a9b35630e9deba92a99--planes-group.jpg

many have been severely enhanced and no longer look like reality

2ef6f797d38c9f8e2afef17753304a60--phone-wallpapers-space-iphone-wallpaper.jpg

7ed86a288e4940a29d21981c7d664f68.jpg

74481d2c7ea93431887797e2fe7e42bb--galaxy-universe-the-universe.jpg

and there are also a number of pure artist's impressions there too .... that is, not actual astro images

There is a lot of colour out there with the variety in composition of the gasses in the nebula
    the colour/temperature of the star illuminating that gas

Dave

8. Jun 24, 2017 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I would say that most pictures of galaxies and galaxy clusters are decent approximations of what they would look like if your eye could gather enough light to make them bright enough to see the colors. We don't usually image galaxies with narrowband filters, but with broadband filters, producing images similar to what a normal DSLR camera creates. Still, many of these pictures have had their colors enhanced, so the color contrast wouldn't be as high as you usually see in pictures.

Pictures of nebulas are far more likely to be false color. This is because nebulas often emit light predominantly in a handful of specific wavelengths instead of over a broad spectrum like stars (and galaxies) do. A popular set of narrowband filters used to image nebulas consists of Hydrogen-Alpha (HA), Oxygen-3 (OIII), and Sulfur-2 (SII) filters. HA and SII both pass light in the red part of the visible spectrum, while OIII passes light in the blue-green part. During processing, we often assign these narrowband images a different color than that which they imaged. The so called "Hubble palette" makes SII = red, HA = green, and OIII = blue to produce full color pictures.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  9. Jun 25, 2017 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cor! I wish my telescope was as good as yours. :-p

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  10. Jun 25, 2017 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

davenn cheats ... he knows stuff.

11. Jun 25, 2017 #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hahaha :biggrin:

but I tell you something .... It doesn't take being on PF for very long to realise there are a lot of people that know a lot more stuff ! :smile:

12. Jun 25, 2017 #11

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All those clever clogs who actually KNOW Maths! V humbling.

13. Jun 25, 2017 #12

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh huh .... maths and I do not have a good relationship ...
    not being able to do the required two first year maths papers at uni is what stopped me finishing my BSc in geology :frown:

14. Jun 25, 2017 #13

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Don't worry. I hear people going into geology usually have a 'rocky' start.

15. Jun 25, 2017 #14

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Followed by in depth study?

DON"T START!!!!

16. Jun 25, 2017 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, of course, since they are striving for cavernous knowledge

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted