Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do my pics turn into thumbnails ?

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

why do my pics turn into thumbnails ???

I see lots of posts of images that are bigger than what I try to post, but mine always turn into thumbnails that you have to click on to see full size.

The last one I tried was a JPEG file (".jpg" actually), 800x632 pixels, 67Kb --- all well within the forum guidelines. I just double-checked and I see a post with an image that is 830x700 pixels that posts directly, not as a thumbnail, so I just can't understand why mine turn into thumbnails.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Paul

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Re: why do my pics turn into thumbnails ???

Are you using the "Manage Attachments" button, or are you using the [noparse][/noparse] tags?

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Could you link to a post you made where this happened?

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm using the "manage attachments"

6. Jun 27, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

7. Jun 27, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Just uploading the attachment isn't enough. You still need to post it in the thread.

When you see the attachment manager, like this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48612&stc=1&d=1340630216

then you should click the link in (3). That will open your image in a new window. This will provide you with the link. You still need to post the link in the thread by using [NOPARSE][/NOPARSE] tags.

8. Jun 27, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

9. Jun 27, 2012 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

here's an example JUST using the "manage attachments"

spider_small.jpg

Here's the same thing but with tags edited in instead of the ATTACH tags (NOTE: I got this by doing "insert image", NOT from just copying the code directly above

[PLAIN]48696

As you can see, I'm not having much luck with this

And by the way, I didn't USE the ATTACH tags specifically, they are just what the "manage attachments" does.

I don't follow your "link in (3)" comment

10. Jun 27, 2012 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

11. Jun 27, 2012 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In (3), you see AFRO_CIRCUS.jpg, you need to click that. Then it opens the image in a new window. If you copy the link there, then you can enclose it between [NOPARSE][/NOPARSE] tags.

12. Jun 27, 2012 #11

jtbell

To put it another way: it's a three-stage process.

First, you compose a new post, and attach the image to it. When you post it, you get only the thumbnail.

Second, you display the attachment, and get the URL of the image.

Third, you edit your post, insert the URL, and enclose it in [noparse][/noparse] tags. Now, the post should display the image both inline and as an attachment.

13. Jun 28, 2012 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, now things have gotten WORSE.

In THIS post, I attempted to post an image using the 3 steps

As in the other post that I started, when I click on the paperclip, it gives me the "manage attachments", wherein I select and then upload my image.

Next, in the thread that I started, subsequently clicking on the paperclip did not go back to the "manage attachments" but rather gave me a list of images (only the one in this case) which I could select to be attached into the post. In THIS post, however, subsequent clicking on the paperclip simply took me back to the "manage attachment" and when I tried to select and upload the image again, it complained (very reasonably) that I had ALREADY uploaded that image in this post. Only problem is, there now seems to be no way whatsoever for me to access the image.

By the way, thanks for the help on this. I assume I'm STILL missing something since, obviously, other people do put images in responses, not just in original posts

GOT IT. OK, I got it to work (see below) by changing the image name AND size. This has GOT to be the most moronic image posting process of any forum I've ever been on. I appreciate the help everyone gave me in getting to it, but MAN, what a ridiculous mess.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48709&stc=1&d=1340896956.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  14. Jun 28, 2012 #13

jtbell

It's not that complicated for me. Using Firefox under Mac OS:

1. Click the "Manage Attachments" button. Use the "Browse" button to select a file on my computer. Click "Upload" to upload the image. Click "Submit Reply" to post the message.

2. Click on the thumbnail in the posted message, to display the image. Click on the image to display it on its own "page" (Your browser may do this differently). Copy the address from the browser's address bar. Dismiss the image and return to the post.

3. Click "Edit" (the post). Paste the URL of the image, and enclose it in [noparse][/noparse] tags. Or click the "Go Advanced" button, and use the "Insert Image" button on the toolbar. Click "Save Changes".

attachment.php?attachmentid=48713&d=1340907010.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  15. Jun 28, 2012 #14

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why Submit then Edit? Once you upload the image, scroll down and open the attached file (see red arrow) in a new tab.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48722&stc=1&d=1340913481.jpg

Then Submit (or Preview then Submit). No need to Edit.

Attached Files:

16. Jun 28, 2012 #15

jtbell

D'oh! :blushing:

17. Jun 28, 2012 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Does it not strike you as absurd to have to DO that?

On other forums, you go do "manage attachments", click on "select file", do the file select, click on "upload" and then click on "insert" and you're done. This whole business of having to figure out the URL of the image is just silly.

18. Jun 28, 2012 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you could just leave it as an attachment and let whoever is reading your post open it. That way the whole business of having to figure out the URL becomes moot. :devil:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook