Why Do People Sign Their Names at the End of Online Posts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ice109
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sign
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 4K views
ice109
Messages
1,708
Reaction score
6
at the bottom of a post? i mean your userid is just to the left of the post? is it so that if someone murders you and tries to infiltrate our ranks we'll know? maybe it's because some of you write such long posts that by the time one reads the whole thing scrolling up is counterproductive?


bob
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree it's completely stupid. I never take part in such meaningless typing of names!

George
 
The only usage I can possibly think of is that the post will become more personal.

- Moridin
 
Its good for reaching the minimum character requirements on short posts.

- Shiv
 
ranger said:
Its good for reaching the minimum character requirements on short posts.

- Shiv

:smile: it's true!
 
In some cases, I suspect, someone wants us to know his/her real name but for some reason can't use it as a username.
 
Danger said:
In some cases, I suspect, someone wants us to know his/her real name but for some reason can't use it as a username.

ZapperZ signs his posts Zz
 
ice109 said:
ZapperZ signs his posts Zz

That's his real name. His parents weren't very conformational.
 
Probably just habit from writing letters or emails where you sign your name at the end.
 
Identity theft is a concern. If you don't see my signature at the bottom of a post then you know it was written by some imposter instead of me because I sign every one of my posts, always.
 
out of whack said:
Identity theft is a concern. If you don't see my signature at the bottom of a post then you know it was written by some imposter instead of me because I sign every one of my posts, always.

Imposter! :biggrin:
 
ice109 said:
at the bottom of a post? i mean your userid is just to the left of the post? is it so that if someone murders you and tries to infiltrate our ranks we'll know? maybe it's because some of you write such long posts that by the time one reads the whole thing scrolling up is counterproductive?


bob

If I were you, I'd never sign my posts. Either that or at least learn to tell when you've written your name backwards.

- GboB (that's swell)
 
ranger said:
Its good for reaching the minimum character requirements on short posts.

- Shiv
Good idea.

- Adam
 
Last edited:
Are you guys making fun of me? :rolleyes: :frown:

- Warren
 
Some people sign with their username although their UN isn't their real name!:biggrin:


Your beloved 1:devil:
 
chroot said:
Are you guys making fun of me? :rolleyes: :frown:

- Warren

Every chance we get! :unknownsmiliegoeshere:
 
jim mcnamara said:
Every chance we get! :unknownsmiliegoeshere:

Just run and hide! No need to post a smilie:wink:



Your beloved 1:devil: