Why do space translations satisfy the Wigner's Theorem?

In summary, the transformation between position and momentum operators can be implemented by a unitary operator. However, I am not sure whether this is a clear proof.
NessunDorma
Some books argue that typical coordinate transformations such as space translations and rotations are represented in quantum mechanics by unitary operators because the Wigner's theorem. However I do not find any clear proof of this. For instance, suppose 1D for the sake of simplicity, by definition spatial translations change the position operator as
X→X+a
where "a" is a constant.

I would want to prove that this transformation between operators can be implemented by a unitary operator. To this end, I try to apply the Wigner's theorem showing that the change X→X+a on the position operator induce a change in the state vectors |ψ>→|ψ'> which is one-to-one and preserves transition amplitudes, i.e. |<ψ|φ>|=|<ψ'|φ'>|.

Any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply relativity. Your choice of basis is entirely arbitrary.

Maybe noteworthy that there are two different but related statements by Wigner:

On the one hand there is Wigner's theorem which says that if we already know/assume that a transformation is a symmetry (any kind of symmetry) in that it (is surjective and) preserves the norm of states, then it must be representable by a unitary or anti-unitary operator.

On the other hand there is Wigner's classification which assuming that Poincare transformations (translations, rotations and boost) act as symmetries (as it does in relativistic field theories, by definition) classifies the irreducible representations of the corresponding group of unitary operators given by the first statement.

Likes bhobba
Jilang said:
Apply relativity. Your choice of basis is entirely arbitrary.
I do not see how relativity allows you to prove that the map is a one-to-one correspondence between unit rays.

[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
Maybe noteworthy that there are two different but related statements by Wigner:

On the one hand there is Wigner's theorem which says that if we already know/assume that a transformation is a symmetry (any kind of symmetry) in that it (is surjective and) preserves the norm of states, then it must be representable by a unitary or anti-unitary operator.

On the other hand there is Wigner's classification which assuming that Poincare transformations (translations, rotations and boost) act as symmetries (as it does in relativistic field theories, by definition) classifies the irreducible representations of the corresponding group of unitary operators given by the first statement.
Yes, it seems that space translations are always assumed to be a symmetry transformation. However, I wonder if there is a way to obtain this result from equation X→X+a.

NessunDorma said:
Yes, it seems that space translations are always assumed to be a symmetry transformation. However, I wonder if there is a way to obtain this result from equation X→X+a.

No, that's the thing: In general a QFT need not be invariant under translations. All the fundamental QFT that one considers are, so it's easy to forget that this is an assumption, but it is evident that one may consider Lagrangians which explicitly depend on spacetime.

Likes dextercioby
NessunDorma said:
I would want to prove that this transformation between operators can be implemented by a unitary operator.
The unitary operator you ask for is ##e^{\pm iz\cdot p/\hbar}## with the appropriate sign, where ##p## is the momentum operator. In general, you exponentiate the corresponding infinitesimal generator.

Likes bhobba and vanhees71
NessunDorma said:
Some books argue that typical coordinate transformations such as space translations and rotations are represented in quantum mechanics by unitary operators because the Wigner's theorem. However I do not find any clear proof of this. For instance, suppose 1D for the sake of simplicity, by definition spatial translations change the position operator as
X→X+a
where "a" is a constant.

I would want to prove that this transformation between operators can be implemented by a unitary operator. To this end, I try to apply the Wigner's theorem showing that the change X→X+a on the position operator induce a change in the state vectors |ψ>→|ψ'> which is one-to-one and preserves transition amplitudes, i.e. |<ψ|φ>|=|<ψ'|φ'>|.

Any idea?
Define [tex]T_{a} | x \rangle \equiv |x + a \rangle \ .[/tex] Then calculate the action of operator [itex]T_{a}[/itex] on the wavefunction as follows [tex]\begin{align*}\Psi^{\prime} (y) \equiv \left( T_{a} \Psi \right) (y) & = \langle y |T_{a} \Psi \rangle \\

& = \int dx \ \langle y |T_{a}|x \rangle \langle x | \Psi \rangle \\

& = \int dx \ \langle y | x + a \rangle \Psi (x) \\

& = \int dx \ \delta (y - x - a ) \ \Psi (x) \\

& = \Psi (y - a) \\

& = e^{\left(- \frac{i}{\hbar} a \right) \cdot \left( - i \hbar \partial \right)} \ \Psi (y) \\

& = e^{- \frac{i}{\hbar} a \cdot \hat{P}} \ \Psi (y) .

\end{align*} [/tex]

Thus [tex]\Psi^{\prime} = U(a) \Psi \ , \ \ U(a) = T_{a} = e^{- \frac{i}{\hbar} a \cdot \hat{P}} \ .[/tex] And [tex]\hat{X}(a) = U^{\dagger}(a) \hat{X}(0) U(a) = \hat{X}(0) + a I \ .[/tex]

Likes bhobba, vanhees71, strangerep and 1 other person

1. Why is Wigner's Theorem important in understanding space translations?

Wigner's Theorem is important because it explains how symmetries in space correspond to conserved quantities in physics. This means that understanding space translations, which are a type of symmetry, is crucial in understanding the underlying principles of physical laws.

2. What does Wigner's Theorem state about space translations?

Wigner's Theorem states that space translations, or the displacement of an object in space, are represented by unitary operators in quantum mechanics. These operators preserve the inner products of quantum states, meaning that the laws of physics remain the same regardless of where an object is located in space.

3. How do space translations satisfy Wigner's Theorem?

Space translations satisfy Wigner's Theorem because the unitary operators that represent them in quantum mechanics preserve the inner products of quantum states. This means that the laws of physics remain unchanged regardless of the position of an object in space, as expected under the principle of relativity.

4. What is the role of symmetry in Wigner's Theorem?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in Wigner's Theorem because it is through symmetries in space, such as translations, that conserved quantities in physics are identified. Wigner's Theorem shows that these symmetries are represented by unitary operators, providing a mathematical understanding of their importance in physical laws.

5. How does Wigner's Theorem impact our understanding of the universe?

Wigner's Theorem has a significant impact on our understanding of the universe because it helps us understand the fundamental principles that govern physical laws. By showing how symmetries in space correspond to conserved quantities, Wigner's Theorem helps us see the underlying unity and structure of the universe, leading to a deeper understanding of its workings.