Why do two people see the same experimental results?

In summary, the basic assumption that two observers would see the same result in an experiment because they live in the same universe was widely accepted before the development of quantum mechanics. However, with the different interpretations of quantum mechanics, this assumption is now being questioned and there are additional responses from physicists that suggest the possibility of different experiences and outcomes for observers. These responses include the idea of multiple universes, the limitations of physics to explain certain questions, and the imperfection of observations. There are also ongoing attempts to experimentally show a difference in observations, and some argue that the current interest in the multiverse theory is coming from cosmology rather than a desire to interpret quantum mechanics.
bhobba said:
I am very anti conciousness causes collapse because of its many attendant problems - but a valid scientific theory it certainly is. The world may be like that with its very weird subjectivism - but that is not what science is about - weirdness is not the deciding factor.

Thanks
Bill

As much as it's an annoyance and unsettles the logical positivism that has served us so well, the fact that it's still around should tell us something. It's not just an alternative explanation. It is in many senses, equivalent.

As much as we wished it away, if you put in into the context of the recent advances in cosmology it's really not that weird anymore. In fact, consciousness does seem to clear up a lot of the weirdness of QM.

I think this is going be seen as a pivotal paper in quantum physics:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.1066

Worth a read, even if just for the incredibly neat pun in the title.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The main unanswered problem is the outcomes problem.
The wisest sentence came from Peres: "unperformed experiments have no result"
Take an atom and consider the value of its spin along the z axis. Is it "u" or "d"?
Orthodox QM tells us that there is no hidden variable. To get the answer Bob have to measure it.
According to Born rule Bob will have his random outcome "uu" or "dd" (one letter for the atom and one for his
aparatis).
Is it "uu" or "dd"? this is like the previous "u" or "d" question. there is no hidden variable and if Alice wants the answer she has to ask the question to the atom and to Bob. she will interacr to them and get a random outcome."uuu" or "ddd".
The initial question was: do Bob and Alice see the same thing? the answer will be yes but this will be like an empty box. if you really want rhe anwer you must be the third observer. And you will have your random outcome.

naima said:
The main unanswered problem is the outcomes problem.
The wisest sentence came from Peres: "unperformed experiments have no result"
Take an atom and consider the value of its spin along the z axis. Is it "u" or "d"?
Orthodox QM tells us that there is no hidden variable. To get the answer Bob have to measure it.
According to Born rule Bob will have his random outcome "uu" or "dd" (one letter for the atom and one for his
aparatis).
Is it "uu" or "dd"? this is like the previous "u" or "d" question. there is no hidden variable and if Alice wants the answer she has to ask the question to the atom and to Bob. she will interacr to them and get a random outcome."uuu" or "ddd".
The initial question was: do Bob and Alice see the same thing? the answer will be yes but this will be like an empty box. if you really want the answer you must be the third observer. And you will have your random outcome.

Let me see if I understand this. I think the paper you are referencing can be found at:

I summarized http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9609002

To the technical team: i often have
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/physicsf/public_html/includes/functions_autotagger.php on line 279

Is it a problem with my linux?

Last edited: