1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do we do (homework) problems?

1. Oct 6, 2014 #1
    It isn't until recently that I have really taken to heart the idea of really understanding and doing homework problems. I feel like I'm learning at a much more controlled pace if I work along with problems in a book (example: solving them before reading the solution), but aside from this, is there any real value to doing homework problems? I have looked up any evidence regarding increased performance by doing problems and returned with nothing on an initial search. Is solving problems the truly best way to learn a subject? What evidence is there for this?

This may be an uninteresting question, but I really want to know if it's beneficial at all or not to solve a ton of problems pertaining to a subject.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the response.

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

How is this "performance" measured?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook