Why do we do (homework) problems?

• Thread starter smashueatu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses the value of doing homework problems and whether it is the best way to learn a subject. The individual has found that working through problems before reading the solution has helped them learn at a more controlled pace. They also mention looking for evidence of increased performance through problem-solving but have not found any on an initial search. The conversation ends with a link to a forum post discussing the benefits of problem-solving versus reading lecture notes. The question of how "performance" is measured is also raised.
smashueatu
It isn't until recently that I have really taken to heart the idea of really understanding and doing homework problems. I feel like I'm learning at a much more controlled pace if I work along with problems in a book (example: solving them before reading the solution), but aside from this, is there any real value to doing homework problems? I have looked up any evidence regarding increased performance by doing problems and returned with nothing on an initial search. Is solving problems the truly best way to learn a subject? What evidence is there for this?

This may be an uninteresting question, but I really want to know if it's beneficial at all or not to solve a ton of problems pertaining to a subject.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the response.

smashueatu said:
I have looked up any evidence regarding increased performance by doing problems

How is this "performance" measured?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the idea that solving problems is the best way to learn a subject. I can explain this concept using the principles of active learning and the brain's ability to retain information through practice.

Active learning involves engaging in activities that require active participation and critical thinking, such as solving problems. This type of learning has been shown to improve understanding and retention of information compared to passive learning methods, like simply reading or listening to lectures. By actively working through problems, students are forced to apply their knowledge and think critically, which helps to solidify their understanding of the subject.

Furthermore, the brain is wired to remember information that is frequently used and practiced. When we solve problems, we are essentially practicing the concepts and skills we have learned. This repetition helps to strengthen the connections between neurons in the brain, making it easier to recall and apply the information in the future.

In addition, solving problems allows us to identify any gaps in our understanding and address them. By struggling through a problem and eventually finding the solution, we are able to better understand the concept and any related concepts that may have been unclear.

There have been numerous studies that have shown a positive correlation between solving problems and improved performance in academic subjects. For example, a study published in the Journal of Research in Science Teaching found that students who actively engaged in solving problems performed better on exams compared to those who simply read the material.

In summary, there is strong evidence that solving problems is an effective way to learn a subject. It allows for active learning, strengthens memory retention, and helps to identify and address any gaps in understanding. So yes, there is real value in doing homework problems and it is considered the best way to learn a subject by many educators and researchers.

1. Why is homework important in science?

Homework problems in science help reinforce the concepts and theories taught in class. They also allow students to practice applying these concepts and develop problem-solving skills, which are essential in the field of science.

2. How do homework problems help us learn?

By completing homework problems, we are actively engaging with the material and testing our understanding. This helps us identify areas where we may need more practice or clarification, leading to a deeper understanding of the subject.

3. Can't we just learn by listening to lectures and reading textbooks?

While lectures and textbooks are important sources of information, actively practicing and applying the material through homework problems can greatly enhance our learning. It allows us to discover our own mistakes and develop critical thinking skills.

4. Why do we have to do so many homework problems?

Repetition is key in learning and mastering new skills. By completing multiple homework problems, we are reinforcing our understanding and building confidence in our abilities to solve similar problems in the future.

5. What happens if I don't do my homework?

Not completing homework problems can hinder our understanding and ability to apply the material. It also means missing out on valuable practice and potential opportunities for feedback and clarification from our teachers or peers.