Why do we have head aches? Our brains can't feel anything.

• Medical
  • Thread starter mutineer123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, tension headaches are caused by muscle contractions in the neck and scalp, which can be triggered by stress, depression, anxiety, or a head injury. The exact cause of these muscle contractions is unknown, but it is not believed to be a significant increase in muscle tension. Migraine headaches, on the other hand, are thought to result from activation of the meningeal sensory fibers, which transmit pain signals from the dura mater to the brain. This can be triggered by chemical irritation of the meninges and is accompanied by various symptoms such as nausea and fatigue.
mutineer123
I often wonder how do we have head aches, when the brain does not posses the ability to experience pain. The yahoo answers are faintly useful, so I decided to put one here. Someone told me that, the head ache, is related to a muscle being sore. For instance, if my forehead is aching, it means that my eyes are over worked, and the muscles inside are getting sore. But my question, is how is it that the forehead experiences the pain? and not the eye itself. What causes the sensation, which makes us feel as if our brain is actually hurting? (mind you I am not talking about migraines, although information about that would be gladly welcomed)

Biology news on Phys.org
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000797.htm
"Tension headaches occur when neck and scalp muscles become tense, or contract. The muscle contractions can be a response to stress, depression, a head injury, or anxiety."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tension-headache/DS00304/DSECTION=causes
"The exact cause or causes of tension headache are unknown. Experts used to think that the pain of tension headache stemmed from muscle contraction in the face, neck and scalp, perhaps as a result of heightened emotions, tension or stress. But research suggests that there doesn't appear to be a significant increase in muscle tension in people diagnosed with tension headache."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16492942 (free!)
"Because the meninges are the only intracranial sites from which pain can be evoked, headaches that accompany intracranial pathologies (e.g., meningitis, subarachnoid hemorrhage, tumor) are thought to result from meningeal stimulation and consequent activation of meningeal sensory fibers (Wolff 1963). Migraine headache, although not accompanied by any detectable pathology, shares certain clinical features with headaches of intracranial origin (Blau and Dexter 1981) and has also been postulated to result from activation of the meningeal sensory innervation."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20062053 (free!)
"Migraine is a recurring, episodic neurological disorder characterized as a unilateral, throbbing headache that is commonly associated with a variety of other symptoms (e.g., nausea, vomiting, irritability, fatigue). Migraine pain is thought to originate from chemical irritation of the meninges, which leads to transmission of nociceptive signals from the dura mater to the brain via the so-called trigeminovascular pathway"

Last edited:

1. Why do we get headaches?

Headaches can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress, dehydration, lack of sleep, muscle tension, or underlying medical conditions. They occur when the blood vessels and nerves in the head and neck become irritated or inflamed, resulting in pain and discomfort.

2. Why can't our brains feel pain?

Our brains do not have pain receptors, which are specialized nerve cells that sense pain. This is because the brain itself does not have any tissue or nerve endings that can transmit pain signals. Therefore, our brains cannot feel pain directly.

3. Can headaches be a sign of a serious condition?

In most cases, headaches are not a sign of a serious condition. However, if you experience severe or frequent headaches, it is important to consult with a doctor to rule out any underlying medical conditions such as migraines, infections, or tumors.

4. Is there a way to prevent headaches?

While some headaches may be inevitable, there are steps you can take to reduce your chances of getting them. These include getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, managing stress levels, practicing good posture, and avoiding triggers such as certain foods or activities.

5. When should I seek medical attention for a headache?

If you experience a sudden, severe headache that is unlike any you have had before, or if your headache is accompanied by other symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, dizziness, or vision changes, it is important to seek immediate medical attention as it could be a sign of a more serious condition.