Why do we multiply two directly proportional things?

In summary, direct proportional means that given a relation ##x=f(y)##,$$\frac {x_1} {x_2} = \frac {y_1} {y_2}$$for ##x_1=f(y_1)## and ##x_2=f(y_2)##. Then if ##x=yz##,$$\frac {x_1} {x_2} = \frac {y_1z} {y_2z}=\frac {y_1} {y_2}$$so ##x## is directly proportional to ##y##, and$$\frac {x_1
Frigus
when we say one term is directly proportional to something for example if I say x directly proportional to y and I also say x is also directly proportional to z then why we multiply y and z when we say x is directly proportional to something whose value is yz.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Directly proportional means that given a relation ##x=f(y)##,
$$\frac {x_1} {x_2} = \frac {y_1} {y_2}$$
for ##x_1 = f(y_1)## and ##x_2=f(y_2)##. Then if ##x=yz##,
$$\frac {x_1} {x_2} = \frac {y_1z} {y_2z}=\frac {y_1} {y_2}$$
so ##x## is directly proportional to ##y##, and
$$\frac {x_1} {x_2} = \frac {yz_1} {yz_2}=\frac {z_1} {z_2}$$
so ##x## is directly proportional to ##z##.

Look directly into the literal meaning of the language for joint & inverse variation!

x directly proportional to y
Let a constant be k.
x=ky

x is also directly proportional to z
let a constant be c.
x=czThose are two formulas for x. The expressions are equal.
ky=cz
or alternatively
y=(c/k)z, where the number c/k is a constant, and this shows y is directly proportional to z.
This did NOT produce your expression yz.

So sir how can we get the expression x=kyz

Hemant said:
What are you trying to figure out? Do you have a specific example? Like ##PV=nRT##?

Hemant said:
We do not automatically get the equation (not expression) x=kyz, unless our numbers are defined or described to show x=kyz. In English worded description, this formula says, "x is directly proportional to y and z."

I may be misunderstanding what you are really try to ask.

tnich said:
What are you trying to figure out? Do you have a specific example? Like ##PV=nRT##?
Yes sir,this is the the best example which I can use to tell what I want to say when we say Pv is directly proportional to n,t why do we multiply n and t.

I think you are approaching it backwards. If you apply what we have shown you, you will see that ##PV## is directly proportional to ##n## and to ##T##. Now that you have learned this pattern, you can apply it in similar situations.

Hemant, that example formula, PV=nRT is based on some measurable physical properties which a theory was given, and experimentally found to work well. The variation constant in the formula is R. You could translate the given formula as "The product of P and V is directly proportional to n and T."

tnich said:
I think you are approaching it backwards. If you apply what we have shown you, you will see that ##PV## is directly proportional to ##n## and to ##T##. Now that you have learned this pattern, you can apply it in similar situations.
Notice in post #2 that when you check the proportionality of ##x## and ##y## by varying ##y##, ##z## does not change. You can look at proportionality one pair of variables at a time while holding all other variables constant. So you can multiply ##y## and ##z## together and it does not change their proportionality with ##x##.

Likes mfb
Sir please explain me this I am very confused if I say gravitational phone directly proportional to m1 and also to m2 and inversely proportional to square of distance between them why do we while combining these term multiply all these terms

Hemant said:
Sir please explain me this I am very confused if I say gravitational phone directly proportional to m1 and also to m2 and inversely proportional to square of distance between them why do we while combining these term multiply all these terms
A few moments of thought, and my response is,... Basic Physical Science and then expressing the theory as an algebraic formula. The language for describing direct and inverse variation is extremely precise and uncomplicated. Simply learn it, and learn to use it. For the gravitation equation about force, the measurements and testing came first, then someone or some people developed the theory and formula; which probably came as the arithmetic or algebraic formula first (just my guess). Why the multiplication by both masses and then divide by square of distance between them - that is the theory AND the corresponding formula.

You will learn about direct and inverse variation when you study intermediate algebra (depending on where you obtain your mathematical education).

Sir please don't get offend from my reply as I am again and again asking many questions but I am getting through very hard time because I can't understand it.
Please help me to figure out where I am wrong if I say gravitational force is directly proportional to m1 so I can write gravitational force=k1 m1 and also for second mass m2 gravitational force=M2K2 where k1 and K2 are some constants and I can also write gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of distance between them then I can write gravitational force is equal to k3/r^2 so by combining at by multiplying all the three terms I will get

Fg^3(gravitational force)=(k1)(K2)(k3)(m1)(m2)(m3)/r^2

Then Fg=3√(k1)(K2)(k3)(m1)(m2)/r^2

Hemant said:
Sir please don't get offend from my reply as I am again and again asking many questions but I am getting through very hard time because I can't understand it.
Please help me to figure out where I am wrong if I say gravitational force is directly proportional to m1 so I can write gravitational force=k1 m1 and also for second mass m2 gravitational force=M2K2 where k1 and K2 are some constants and I can also write gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of distance between them then I can write gravitational force is equal to k3/r^2 so by combining at by multiplying all the three terms I will get

Fg^3(gravitational force)=(k1)(K2)(k3)(m1)(m2)(m3)/r^2

Then Fg=3√(k1)(K2)(k3)(m1)(m2)/r^2

First, the gravitational force is proportional to ##m_1## only when ##m_2## and ##r## are fixed. This is what you mean when you say two things are proportional (or inversely proportional): you assume every other variable is fixed.

In this case, if we assume that ##r## is fixed, then:

##F = k_1m_1## and ##F = k_2m_2## implies ##k_1m_1 = k_2 m2##, hence ##k_2 = k_1 m_1/m_2##

This gives us: ##F = k_2m_2 = (k_1m_1/m_2)m_2 = k_4 m_1m_2##.

Where ##k_4 = k_1/m_2 = k_2/m_1##.

Now, if we also have ##F = k_3/r^2##, then:

##k_3/r^2 = k_4 m_1 m_2##

Hence:

##k_4 = k/r^2##, where ##k = k_3/(m_1 m_2)##

And, finally,

##F = km_1m_2/r^2##

Note that in this equation, if we fix ##m_2## and ##r##, say, then the constant of proportionality between ##F## and ##m_1## is ##km_2/r^2## and not just ##k##.

Hemant, let me give you two pieces of advice I gave you before.

Vanadium 50 said:
Hemant, you are replying immediately to the messages you get, I think you will have a better outcome if you think about what people say before responding - it can take a few moments.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you want to understand physics, you need to put more effort in.

You've disregarded both, and now you're unhappy. I think if you were to take this advice seriously, you'd be happier.

symbolipoint said:
Hemant, that example formula, PV=nRT is based on some measurable physical properties which a theory was given, and experimentally found to work well. The variation constant in the formula is R. You could translate the given formula as "The product of P and V is directly proportional to n and T."
Thanks a lot sir today I understood (after many day😅) how does this work,

I agained opened the site and started reading from 1st post and when I reached this I understood the thing which you was trying to explain me and also perok and tnich sir.

Likes tnich and symbolipoint

1. Why do we need to multiply two directly proportional things?

When two things are directly proportional, it means that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases at the same rate. Multiplying these two variables together allows us to find the relationship between them and determine how they change together.

2. What does it mean for two things to be directly proportional?

When two things are directly proportional, it means that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases at the same rate. This can be represented mathematically as y = kx, where k is a constant value and x and y are the two variables.

3. How do we know if two things are directly proportional?

We can determine if two things are directly proportional by plotting the data points on a graph. If the points form a straight line that passes through the origin (0,0), then the two variables are directly proportional. We can also use the equation y = kx to check if the ratio between the two variables is constant.

4. What is the significance of multiplying two directly proportional things?

Multiplying two directly proportional things allows us to find the relationship between them and determine how they change together. It also helps us to make predictions and calculate values for one variable based on the other.

5. Can two things be directly proportional if one variable is negative?

Yes, two things can still be directly proportional if one variable is negative. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable decreases at the same rate. The equation for this would be y = -kx, where k is a constant value.