Why do wounds itch as they heal?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, according to the wound healing table, a wound to heal might take a lot, depending on the individual's factors.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Within reasonable limits, is it a good idea to scratch a healing wound that is itchy?

Biology news on Phys.org
Sure, that's understandable. But what about internal injuries, like sprains? If an injury was swollen, as the swelling goes down it can itch like crazy. What's going on there?

lisab said:
But what about internal injuries, like sprains?
hmm I've never experienced that before, interesting

Part of the healing process involves histamine, which is well known for its association with itching. Like most neurotransmitters, histamine has multiple functions, so it's not the only interpretation, but it's the word on the street (or in the lecture room, as it were).

Likes lisab and Greg Bernhardt
lisab said:

Within reasonable limits, is it a good idea to scratch a healing wound that is itchy?
I'm doing my best to turn 72 in December, one of the few disappointments in growing older has been bumping my arms or hands and break the skin, that being said I have found Neosporin applied under a band-aid does wonders to speed the healing while reducing or eliminating the itch.

Likes Evo
It's a guy thing, mostly. Itching makes you remember to pick at the scab so that it will form a scar rather than healing properly. :p

Likes Danger, RonL, Borek and 2 others
RonL said:
I'm doing my best to turn 72 in December, one of the few disappointments in growing older has been bumping my arms or hands and break the skin, that being said I have found Neosporin applied under a band-aid does wonders to speed the healing while reducing or eliminating the itch.
At least you know how you got the cut! All my life I've found "surprise" cuts that I can't account for how the happened. I usually only use Neosporin on hand and foot wounds, since they're most likely to get infected in my experience.

My hobby is woodworking and I have a garage full of benches and planks and tools and just generally sharp and pokey things and I'm ALWAYS finding minor cuts and bruises. When they happen I just shout a few cuss words and immediately forget all about it, unless it's getting blood on the wood. Then a few days later I'll find a doozy of a bruise and wonder what the hell I did to deserve it. I had so many one time that my doctor started asking questions and after a bit I finally got it that he was probing politely for spousal abuse 'cause he didn't believe I could be stupid enough to do that much to myself. He was wrong. I'm that stupid (careless, actually).

Anyway, the thing is, I really don't remember bruises itching when I was younger but they sometimes do now. Very annoying. I haven't found anything that helps.

lisab said:

as the wound heals and the inflamation reduces angiogenesys starts together with remodeling. itching is a good sign that the wound heals more and more. during angiogenesys new nerves, vessels and tiny vessels form(capilaries) by that we sense the itch.
take a look at the wound healing table. a wound to heal might take a lot. :)

1024px-Wound_healing_phases.png

Likes Danger and RonL
2young2retire said:
as the wound heals and the inflamation reduces angiogenesys starts together with remodeling. itching is a good sign that the wound heals more and more. during angiogenesys new nerves, vessels and tiny vessels form(capilaries) by that we sense the itch.
take a look at the wound healing table. a wound to heal might take a lot. :)

1024px-Wound_healing_phases.png
Yesterday I was cutting some dead branches in my backyard and scraped my skin (just a small hole and short scratch), it bled a lot so I had to stop moving around for a while, I pressed a tissue against it and it sealed up. I started watching the clock and to my surprise it looks to be right on time with the chart.
I'm not using anything on the wound, I guess I'll be picking at the scab in a few days.:p

Likes 2young2retire
well yes in general it applies but the timetable doesn't apply for all because not all have the same density in platelets in blood for example ;)

each ones blood is different. in density,pressure,nutricient,platelets etc...

now there is some interesting research going on about electromagnetic field and wound healing times. it seems that certain wave lengths aid to make a wound heal much faster...

1. Why do wounds itch as they heal?

Wounds itch as they heal due to the release of histamine, a chemical produced by the body's immune system in response to injury or irritation. Histamine causes blood vessels to dilate and the surrounding tissue to become inflamed, leading to itching sensations.

2. Is itching a sign of healing?

Yes, itching is a common sign of healing. It is a result of the body's inflammatory response, which is a natural part of the healing process. However, excessive itching can be a sign of infection or delayed wound healing.

3. Can scratching a wound slow down the healing process?

Yes, scratching a wound can slow down the healing process. Scratching can introduce bacteria or irritants to the wound, leading to infection or prolonged inflammation. It can also cause damage to the new skin cells and delay healing.

4. How long does it take for a wound to stop itching?

The duration of itching can vary depending on the size and severity of the wound. In general, minor wounds may stop itching within a few days, while larger or deeper wounds may take a few weeks. If itching persists for an extended period or becomes severe, it is best to consult a healthcare professional.

5. What can I do to relieve itching from a healing wound?

To relieve itching from a healing wound, you can try applying a cold compress, taking an antihistamine, or using over-the-counter anti-itch creams or ointments. It is essential to avoid scratching the wound and keep it clean and moisturized to promote proper healing.