• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Why does a Phospholipid have an unsaturated fatty acid tail?

Homework Statement

Hi guys. In the biochemistry chapter, the book shows the structure of a phospholipid (picture attached) with a PO4 3- group and 2 fatty acid chains attached to a glycerol molecule. However, one of the fatty acid chains has a C=C bond while the other is fully saturated. I’m wondering what’s the reason for this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked through the section and it doesn’t give an explanation for it. I also searched it up but I couldn’t find what I was looking for, and the images online had similar structures as well.
Thanks for help.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
I doubt there is a "reason", looks like just an example made to show several important properties of such molecules.

I doubt there is a "reason", looks like just an example made to show several important properties of such molecules.
Okay thank you. That is what I thought.
So that means there’s variation in the fatty acid chains? And does that affect the phospholipid in any way (if the chains are linear or not)?

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes and yes. cis-unsaturated fatty acids pack less efficiently than trans-unsaturated and saturated fatty acids. A higher proportion of cis-acids causes the phospholipid membrane to behave more as a fluid, whereas a higher proportion of saturated/trans-unsaturated acids acts to stiffen the phospholipid membrane. The balance of these affects the membrane's mechanical properties as well as the transport of various species across the membrane. Here's a relevant wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipid_bilayer_phase_behavior