Why does compression of a nerve cause any kind of feeling at all?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between physics and biology, specifically in relation to the topic of nerve compression and its effects. The question is raised about why compression of a nerve causes any feeling at all, and the possibility of mechanosensitive ion channels in neurons is mentioned as a potential explanation. The conversation concludes with the suggestion that compression can restrict blood flow and potentially inhibit nerve function.
k9b4
Is it because the charges in the nerve are being pushed away from the compressed area, thus sending electrical signal along the nerve?

Why was my post moved from physics forum to biology forum? This question could be classified as both physics and biology as I am asking about charges.

What's the difference between physics and biology?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
k9b4 said:
Is it because the charges in the nerve are being pushed away from the compressed area, thus sending electrical signal along the nerve?

Why was my post moved from physics forum to biology forum? This question could be classified as both physics and biology as I am asking about charges.

What's the difference between physics and biology?

Do you have a mainstream reference that suggests the compression of different kinds of nerves can cause pain? Normally that would cause numbness and maybe tingling...

berkeman said:
Do you have a mainstream reference that suggests the compression of different kinds of nerves can cause pain? Normally that would cause numbness and maybe tingling...
Yes sorry, that was my incorrect use of the word. I have edited the title*.

My question is: Why does compression of a nerve cause any kind of feeling at all?

*The title was originally: Why does compression of a nerve cause pain?

Last edited:
Well, compression of an area will restrict blood flow, which will impair nerve function. I'm not sure if compression will inhibit ionic flow at nerve junctions...

EDIT -- Ygggdrasil beat me to it.. :-)

Thanks both

1. What is compression of a nerve?

Compression of a nerve occurs when pressure is applied to a nerve, resulting in a decrease or loss of function of that nerve. This can be caused by various factors such as injury, inflammation, or structural abnormalities.

2. How does compression of a nerve cause a feeling?

Compression of a nerve can cause a feeling, also known as a sensation, because nerves are responsible for transmitting signals from the body to the brain. When a nerve is compressed, the signals may be disrupted or altered, resulting in a variety of sensations such as numbness, tingling, or pain.

3. Why does compression of a nerve cause different sensations in different people?

The type and severity of sensation experienced due to compression of a nerve can vary from person to person because everyone's nerves and pain thresholds are unique. Additionally, the location and degree of compression can also play a role in the specific sensation felt.

4. Can compression of a nerve cause permanent damage?

In some cases, compression of a nerve can cause permanent damage if the pressure on the nerve is not relieved in a timely manner. This can lead to long-term issues such as chronic pain or loss of sensation in the affected area. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience persistent symptoms of nerve compression.

5. How is compression of a nerve treated?

The treatment for compression of a nerve depends on the underlying cause and severity of the condition. In some cases, rest and physical therapy may be enough to alleviate the compression and relieve symptoms. Other treatment options may include medications, injections, or surgery to release the pressure on the nerve.