Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does expectation values are always nonnegative?

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    Why does the expectation values of some operators, such as 'number' operator ##a^\dagger a## and atomic population operator ##\sigma^\dagger\sigma##, are always nonnegative? Can we prove this from a mathematical point? For example, are these operators positive semidefinite?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its because the outcome of the observation is a number so obviously is always positive.

If you are talking about the number operator of the harmonic oscillator yes you can prove that as any text will explain eg:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_harmonic_oscillator

Thanks
    Bill

4. Apr 6, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your reply. It does so that the obervation result is nonnegative. I just want to find a mathematical proof.

5. Apr 6, 2015 #4

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you see the proof in the case of the harmonic oscillator?

Its the basis of similar operators in QFT.

Thanks
    Bill

6. Apr 6, 2015 #5
    Thanks. I've read the proof for this specific case. What I mean is a more general case. For example, the operator ##(a^\dagger)^2 a^2 \sigma^\dagger\sigma## for a coupled cavity-atom system. Is the expectation for this operator always nonnegative for any state (include the mixed state)?

7. Apr 6, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A measurement cannot give a negative result, so the expectation value has to be positive - otherwise you made a mistake with the calculations or the operator definition.

8. Apr 6, 2015 #7
    Thanks for your reply. The measurement results of many operators can be negative. For example, the position and the momentum of a particle.

9. Apr 6, 2015 #8

kith

Science Advisor

10. Apr 6, 2015 #9
  11. Apr 6, 2015 #10

kith

Science Advisor

I don't know if the proof can be generalized because I haven't looked into it in detail but the wikipedia article says that the statement is true at least for Hermitean matrices. See this section.

12. Apr 6, 2015 #11

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The proof for operators of the form ##A^\dagger A## is very easy. For all state vectors ##x##, we have
    $$\langle x,A^\dagger Ax\rangle =\langle A^{\dagger\dagger}x,Ax\rangle =\langle Ax,Ax\rangle\geq 0.$$
    The requirement that ##\langle x,x\rangle\geq 0## for all ##x## is part of the definition of "inner product", and therefore part of the definition of "Hilbert space".

13. Apr 6, 2015 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

All semidefinite matrices are Hermitian.

14. Apr 6, 2015 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

And there is an interesting converse too. If for all ##x##, we have ##\langle x,Bx\rangle \geq 0##, then there is an operator ##A## such that ##B = A^\dagger A##. And all of this is equivalent tfor Hermitian operators) with saying that the spectrum of ##B## (thus if I understand QM well: the set of all outcomes) is nonnegative.

15. Apr 6, 2015 #14
    Thanks you! Can you help me with the proof of the theorem you mentioned?

16. Apr 6, 2015 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  17. Apr 6, 2015 #16
    Thank you very much! Can we say that the operator of the form ##A^\dagger A## is a positive semidefinite operator?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  18. Apr 6, 2015 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes.

19. Apr 7, 2015 #18

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't understand this question. Why should the expectation value of a position or momentum (vector component) be positive definite? It's of course not and there's no reason why it should!

20. Apr 7, 2015 #19
    The position and momentum are not positive definite. So the expectation of them can be positive, zero or negative. Similar observable includes the energy, which is dependent on the zero point we choose. However, the operator of the form ##A^\dagger A##, such as 'number' operator ##a^\dagger a##, is positive semidefinite. So the expectation values are always nonnegative. This is also a physically reasonable result.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  21. Apr 7, 2015 #20

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then I fail to understand your question - you have answered it yourself.

Thanks
    Bill

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted