Why Does H2O2 Form Instead of H2O?

• Thread starter scienceteacher
  • Start date
In summary, hydrogen and oxygen combine to form H2O2 instead of water under certain conditions such as electrolytic oxidation of sulfuric acid and the auto oxidation process. These reactions result in a more stable form of hydrogen peroxide compared to other compounds like peroxydisulfate. The formation of H2O2 is also influenced by temperature and pressure, with higher temperatures favoring its formation. Additionally, the standard electrode potential for the reaction is favorable, making it a viable method for producing hydrogen peroxide.
scienceteacher
Why H2O2 and Not H20??

I was wondering under what conditions hydrogen and Oxygen combine to form H2O2 instead of water. The decomposition of H2O2 into water is exothermic, meaning when we separate the oxygen atom we have less chemical potential energy. The way it was taught to me, less CPE means more 'stability' (whatever that is). My question is...under what conditions will hydrogen and oxygen combine to form a less stable configuration. I know this abstract idea of stability is dependent on local temp. and pressure but I am not sure in what way or why! Any insights you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That's what 99.99% of chemistry is about :smile: We, humans, are particularly unstable combinations of elements, stable version being mixture of water, carbon dioxide, nitrogen and a pinch of inorganic salts...

One of the methods of H2O2 production was electrolytic oxidation of sulfuric acid to peroxydisulfate, followed by hydrolysis. In this case hydrogen peroxide was already more stable than peroxydisulfate solution, in turn hydrogen peroxide decomposition was slow enough so that it could be isolated.

scienceteacher said:
I was wondering under what conditions hydrogen and Oxygen combine to form H2O2 instead of water. The decomposition of H2O2 into water is exothermic, meaning when we separate the oxygen atom we have less chemical potential energy. The way it was taught to me, less CPE means more 'stability' (whatever that is). My question is...under what conditions will hydrogen and oxygen combine to form a less stable configuration. I know this abstract idea of stability is dependent on local temp. and pressure but I am not sure in what way or why! Any insights you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Depends on what you mean by hydrogen and oxygen e.g. hydrogen gas as well as the environment under consideration.

H2O2(aq) + 2H+ + 2e− → 2H2O

The standard electrode potential for this equation is 1.78 V meaning that its favorable with respect to Gibbs as you've mentioned. This formation of hydrogen peroxide can be made more favorable with electrolysis ; I had a potentiometric experiment in the past where this was supposed to have been a culprit in taking up charge at least in my experiment.

Also note that this equation is unfavorable with respect to entropy - this means that a higher temp would favor the hydrogen peroxide. Simply configure the Gibbs equation to understand at what temperature that is.

Other then what was mentioned I would check out the following webpage and perhaps another one which offers more extensive listings to research the different ways that water and hydrogen peroxide can be formed from the different states of hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_standard_electrode_potentials

Hope this helps.

scienceteacher said:

Thanks!

That would be the Auto Oxidation Process. In that process, hydrogen is reacted with anthraquinone to produce anthraquinol. This solution is then (in a separate tank) combined with oxygen from air. This liberates the H2O2 which is extracted with water yielding about a 40% H2O2 solution. The other product of the reaction (anthraquinone) is recycled to again be treated with hydrogen to regenerate the anthraquinol.

Related to Why Does H2O2 Form Instead of H2O?

1. What is the chemical equation for the formation of H2O2?

The chemical equation for the formation of H2O2 is 2H2 + O2 → 2H2O2.

2. Why is H2O2 formed instead of H2O?

H2O2 is formed instead of H2O because of the presence of an extra oxygen atom in the reactants. This allows for the formation of a more stable molecule, H2O2, compared to H2O.

3. How does the formation of H2O2 occur?

The formation of H2O2 occurs through a process called oxidation. In this process, hydrogen atoms from two molecules of H2 combine with oxygen atoms from one molecule of O2 to form two molecules of H2O2.

4. What are the factors that influence the formation of H2O2?

The formation of H2O2 can be influenced by various factors such as the concentration of reactants, temperature, and the presence of a catalyst. These factors can affect the rate of reaction and the yield of H2O2.

5. What are the uses of H2O2?

H2O2 has many uses in various industries, including as a bleaching agent, disinfectant, and water treatment chemical. It is also used in the production of various chemicals and as a propellant in rocket fuel.