Why does hair on a human head grow indefinitely?

In summary, the conversation discusses the fact that humans have hair that grows indefinitely while other great apes do not. There is a suggestion that this may be due to sexual selection and the role of hair in attracting a mate. The speaker questions the validity of this idea and notes that hair does fall out naturally. They express a desire for a more detailed and convincing explanation.
dmatador
Given that we humans are descended from the great ape, as well as are gorillas and chimpanzees and bonobos, why do we have hair that grows indefinitely, while they do not? I've read something about a sexual selection aspect to evolution, surmising that hair is a means to finding a mate, like strength and intelligence, but I am not completely convinced by this idea.

Biology news on Phys.org
dmatador said:
Given that we humans are descended from the great ape, as well as are gorillas and chimpanzees and bonobos, why do we have hair that grows indefinitely, while they do not? I've read something about a sexual selection aspect to evolution, surmising that hair is a means to finding a mate, like strength and intelligence, but I am not completely convinced by this idea.

Why do you doubt it out of curiosity? Also human head hair doesn't grow indefinately, it typically reaches a length where it falls out, for example, I have shoulder-length hair and I need to vacuum the floor frequently, just because of the hair that falls out naturally.

Perhaps I question more so the seriousness of the article I read, not necessarily the principle itself. I would just like to read something more cogent and detailed. And yes, hair does fall out a lot; my sister's hair frequently clogs the drain in the shower. However, one could grow his hair out to his buttocks if he wished, yet a chimpanzee, for example, could not.

Related to Why does hair on a human head grow indefinitely?

1. Why does hair on a human head grow indefinitely?

The hair on a human head grows indefinitely due to the presence of hair follicles, which are tiny pockets on the scalp that contain hair roots. These hair roots are responsible for continuous hair growth as they produce new hair cells.

2. Is it true that hair grows at a constant rate?

No, hair growth is not constant for all individuals. It varies based on genetics, age, and health. On average, hair grows about 0.5 inches per month, but this can vary for each person.

3. Can hair growth be influenced by diet or lifestyle?

While hair growth is mostly determined by genetics, diet and lifestyle can play a role in promoting healthy hair growth. A balanced diet with essential vitamins and minerals, as well as proper hair care practices, can help support hair growth.

4. Why does hair on other parts of the body have a shorter growth cycle?

The hair on other parts of the body, such as the arms and legs, have a shorter growth cycle because they are considered non-essential for survival. In contrast, the hair on our head has a longer growth cycle as it provides protection and insulation for our scalp.

5. Is it possible to stop hair from growing indefinitely?

No, it is not possible to stop hair from growing indefinitely. However, certain medical conditions or treatments, such as chemotherapy, can temporarily halt hair growth. Additionally, regular hair trims can prevent hair from reaching a longer length, but it will still continue to grow.